distorted video from one camera

ipcamal

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I just ended up turning my LTS turret sideways to reduce IR reflection from brick wall.
Now Blue iris is not showing correct video feed.
THis is what it looks like:

side-distorted.PNG

and here is how it looks like in web gui of the camera.
Screenshot 2016-03-10 13.53.51.png

Here are the settings i changed:

Screenshot 2016-03-10 13.54.43.png

I changed first 2 Mirror on center and rotate. If I change them back, camera starts working but image is not correctly oriented.

I did detect camera after i made the changes in gui.

Any ideas how to do this?

Thank you

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
it's a 3mp? if so, try 4x3 mode (full rez) instead of 1080p (16x9).
Also, i'd aim it a bit lower, as you've got a lot of sky...
when i change my cam's orientation, I find that BI picks up the change by simply 'touching' the camera settings page.
ie, just open camera properties page and click the OK button to force a reconnect and it re-calibrates.
(but i don't have any sideways at 1080p...)

Last edited by a moderator:

MikeyOnline

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
What does the BI video tab look like? Is it recognizing the proper resolution (height greater than width)?

Mike

ipcamal

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Its a 4MP turret. I just turned off rotation and flip in the camera gui and did a flip right/left and rotate 270 degrees in BI. Now its working correctly except my OSD time stamp is now on the side :)
bi-fixed.PNG

Mike - resolution was correct in vertical. BI was showing 1520 x 2688

ipcamal

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Just flipped everything back and did a rotation in gui

here is what it looks like and video settings:
video settings.PNG

MikeyOnline

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I was going to suggest what you already did: leave the camera's web settings alone and do the flip and rotation in BI. That should work but I didn't suggest it because then it won't look right in your camera's web GUI. If you don't typically use the camera's web GUI, then maybe that doesn't matter and doing the work in BI would be the answer. Turn off the timestamp in the camera software and do the time stamp in BI instead.

Mike

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
That is a strange problem. I have two 3mp bullets with the video at 2MP (16:9 aspect ratio) rotated in camera firmware, and no trouble with Blue Iris. Can you try rotating the camera stream the other direction to see if that works better? Are you on the latest Blue Iris update? If your Blue Iris support plan is still active you might bring this up with Ken (the Blue Iris developer) and provide him access to the stream. e.g. port forward the RTSP port to the camera and give him login credentials for the camera, and also lower its streaming bit rate to something your upload speed can easily handle.

ipcamal

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I was going to suggest what you already did: leave the camera's web settings alone and do the flip and rotation in BI. That should work but I didn't suggest it because then it won't look right in your camera's web GUI. If you don't typically use the camera's web GUI, then maybe that doesn't matter and doing the work in BI would be the answer. Turn off the timestamp in the camera software and do the time stamp in BI instead.

Mike
I can't do that because i use D2D. I can live with time stamp on the side if I have to since its only for evidence purpose in case its needed. But I'll wait for Ken to respond. How long does it take for Ken to respond to tickets?

ipcamal

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
That is a strange problem. I have two 3mp bullets with the video at 2MP (16:9 aspect ratio) rotated in camera firmware, and no trouble with Blue Iris. Can you try rotating the camera stream the other direction to see if that works better? Are you on the latest Blue Iris update? If your Blue Iris support plan is still active you might bring this up with Ken (the Blue Iris developer) and provide him access to the stream. e.g. port forward the RTSP port to the camera and give him login credentials for the camera, and also lower its streaming bit rate to something your upload speed can easily handle.
I tried rotation in the other direction, same issue. As soon as its vertical it craps out in BI. I just updated to latest BI 4.0.7 before that I was on BI 4.0.5. I sent a support request to him, he hasn't responded yet. I'll open the ports when he responds. Don't want to do it now. My uploads are 75mbps so it should be enough, but I can lower it if needed.

ipcamal

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Eureka - I just switched the stream resolution from 1520 x 2688 to 1080 x1920 and camera is now working in BI4. So it looks like 4mp is not working correctly.

ipcamal

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Got a reply from Ken

"It was to do with Intel hardware decoding, doesn't like 1520 stride, force to 1536 works. Fix will be out tonight 4.0.10"

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Ack! Updated to 4.3.0.10 and now the 1080x1920 cameras (portrait view 2mp) have the same bug the 4mp cameras had!

Letting Ken know.

ipcamal

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Updated to 4.3.0.10 and my camera is good now. Did you get yours addressed?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Updated to 4.3.0.10 and my camera is good now. Did you get yours addressed?
Ken asked for access to the camera on Tuesday, which I of course provided. I haven't heard from him since and there is no update out yet so I just assume it will be fixed in the next patch.

He did say the change to fix 4MP rotated cams was specific to that resolution, and would not have affected 2MP cams. So the bug may be a little trickier.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
4.3.0.13 is out now, and this is still a problem. I also have several corrupt recordings today, all corrupted in the same way, from different cameras, so it strongly suggests a BI bug. I was running 4.3.0.12 during those. Maybe it is fixed, maybe it isn't. I don't know because I'm rolling back to 4.3.0.9 for a while so I can re-enable hardware acceleration for my portrait cams.

In other news, my BI is up to an astonishing 5 GB of memory usage!

Jaime-Cam

n3wb
Reaction score
I have this problem with a hikvision DS-2CD2032-I that I rotated in the camera controls so that it gives me a 1920 vertical by 1080 horiz. video with the date and time on the top left and camera name at the bottom right. It only outputs scrambled video when Hardware Acceleration is enabled. It worked correctly until I updated to 4.3.0.10 and I am at 4.3.0.12 and it still has the problem.
scrambled.jpg

ipcamal

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Open a ticket with Ken and provide him access to the camera.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I have this problem with a hikvision DS-2CD2032-I that I rotated in the camera controls so that it gives me a 1920 vertical by 1080 horiz. video with the date and time on the top left and camera name at the bottom right. It only outputs scrambled video when Hardware Acceleration is enabled. It worked correctly until I updated to 4.3.0.10 and I am at 4.3.0.12 and it still has the problem.
View attachment 9231
Same problem here. What I did was roll back to 4.3.0.9. Here is the update file for 4.3.0.9 64 bit if you need it: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/72769267/Blue Iris/update64_4.3.0.9.exe

Open a ticket with Ken and provide him access to the camera.
I gave Ken access to my cam (also 2032, 1080x1920 portrait) 8 days ago, and no response yet. Might not be a bad idea for other people experiencing the same problem to give him a nudge.

Jaime-Cam

n3wb
Reaction score
I believe I found a workaround for now until the fix is included in BI. The problem is with video widths that are not exact multiples of 32. So 720 and 1080 do not divide evenly into 32. Need to round up to 736 and 1088 respectively.

Set the size in the size box as "736 x 1280" or "1088 x 1920" and check the "Anamorphic (force size)" check box.

I sent Ken an email with these findings.