DIY cheap IP cam with Sony IMX322 ?

cam235

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Update: the board-only (no case) camera I mentioned yesterday is not recommended by me at this point. It worked OK overnight, but now it is rebooting every 10 to 15 minutes. The power and network connections look OK physically to me. The camera log file doesn't say anything helpful. Also, each time it reboots, it resets the date to December 1999 even though I have it set to get time from a NTP server.

EDIT: Thought the problem could be the 12V power supply so I tried another supply, and then I tried a 12V battery. Still same results; it resets on its own after 10 - 30 minutes. Looks like I got unlucky on this one.

Last edited:

framednlv

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
bummer!!

Have you looked at this thread "Q's Cheap Camera Shootout":
Wireless HD Sony imx 323 1080P 2MP IP Camera Network P2P Onvif IR Night Vision CCTV Wifi Alarm Security Protect Cam System-in Surveillance Cameras from Security & Protection on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

The imx322 camera I bought has two different setting for day and night. The setting will automatically apply when the camera goes from day to night or night to day (with an exception of WDR and a few other setting). Here is a link to the $39 Aliexpres imx322 wifi camera I bought, and am happy with: Wireless HD Sony imx 323 1080P 2MP IP Camera Network P2P Onvif IR Night Vision CCTV Wifi Alarm Security Protect Cam System-in Surveillance Cameras from Security & Protection on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

cam235

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
@framednlv : That cam looks good, except I have learned not to trust wifi. Do you know if there is an equivalent model with wired ethernet?

framednlv

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The wifi one I linked above can be used with a network cable, just remove the antenna and it will be fine.
I bought this one for $35 with internal SD card slot (and broke it, my fault): Aliexpress.com : Buy 2MP 1080P HD IP Camera Micro SD/TF Card Sony imx323 Onvif P2P CCTV Camera Network Alarm Security Support Phone View Surveillance from Reliable onvif p2p suppliers on Mo Yao electronic Co., Ltd Store

Remember the IR isn't very good for distance. I have a separate IR illuminator and flood lights. Right now I'm using the IMX322 in color at night.
Snapshot is from the wifi one at my fathers house. I'm not sure where the setting are on it.

Attachments

Last edited:

cam235

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thanks for the info! Yes, I am a big believer in external IR lights, my garage now has three separate IR medium-narrow angle lights for the driveway/sidewalk, and two longrange IR spotlights to pick up plates at 150'+ away.

cam235

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
For what it's worth, this item IPCam (1080P) 2.8mm LEN 1/2.8" SONY IMX322 + Hi3516 CCTV IP camera (built in IRC filter) + Audio-in Surveillance Cameras from Security & Protection on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group has arrived and it works as expected. Image and the Explorer web interface looks just like the others, so I assume it really is IMX322 as advertised. The audio channel does work. The audio levels are much lower than my other cameras with audio, and the volume adjust trimpot on the external audio module has no effect I can find. Might still be good if you want undistorted audio on loud sounds like gunshot, glass break etc.

Here's a strange thing: the rtsp:// streams from these cameras work OK with Windows ONVIF Device Manager, and the Linux Bluecherry DVR, and also a homebrew Python/OpenCV tool (on linux) that I wrote myself. However the exact same rtsp stream does NOT work with VLC on Windows (it just says the stream cannot be opened). VLC is my normal go-to tool for live viewing of a camera for setup etc. so that is annoying, and I am also puzzled why VLC doesn't work when the other software does work. VLC has always worked with the other IP cameras I've used in the past (at least 6 separate brands) just by using the rtsp: string that I find from the ONVIF tool.

UPDATE: I now have three "cheap" ($50 to $60) IMX322 type cameras. They all "mostly work" and when they do, the image quality is decent. But all of them have some problems, like rebooting at random times. Controls are limited, and none of them have a scriptable remote control via http:// request like Hikvision and Dahua do. I do not think I could count on any of them to be reliable.

Last edited:
Reaction score
That SONY CMOS IMX322 AR0130 IP Camera is unreliable, it only works through cms, half the time it won't connect. The processor is 3516 CRBCV100. These IP cams have no video out.

My other cam is an okayvision PTZ 18X 1080P, Nextchip nvp2441h ccd, that had video out so I had to get an hdmi capture card. This was dodgy as well, wouldn't get out of black and white mode. It wouldn't accept pelco commands other than pan tilt or zoom.

The nvp2441h datasheet had heaps of video effects. Have wasted 30 hours trying to send it Pelco commands. The Honestech velocap hd75a was bad as well, poor quality image, freezes up, won't work with open source amcap.