DIY rack cabinet

BigFoot

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I'm starting this weekend to make the rack I'm going to install to house all my CCTV stuff, including the PC dedicated to hosting it on Blue Iris

The cost of cabinets here in the UK is quite high, so I'm planning on making my own. It will be a 14U size

I will post pictures when made for anyone who has any interest

BigFoot

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Constructed from 18mm ply (that's 5/8" for anyone who doesn't do metric)

Rear hole for cables elongated then routed front & back to 'roundover' the sharp corners

Assembled with glued pocket-hole joints. Other holes are M5 (5mm) threaded inserts to mount the 14U rack strip. Paint is Rustoleum Multi Surface in RAL1015 - Light Ivory

Attachments

J Sigmo

Known around here
Reaction score
Looks like a worthwhile project for sure!

tsutton

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Contact your local school/college/business and see if they have any old cabinet for sale/going to the dump.

BigFoot

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Cabinet finished with server rack angles fitted
Secured in place below my computer desk & starting to be populated

Uppermost is a 24 port Cat6 keystone patch panel with rear cable management bar

Below that is a shelf mounted Linksys 116, 16 port POE Gigabit switch

Cabinet fitted such that the cable opening has a 3/4" (20 mm ) gap from the back wall for cable routing

Plenty of room below for another shelf or two

Room also on base shelf for the Dell 5040, i7 6700, 8Gb, 128 Gb SSD running Win 10 Pro that will be used as the host machine for Blue Iris

BigFoot

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
The top of the cabinet is open - as the build progresses I will be fitting a 'top' with integrated LED light strip to give plenty of working illumination

Below the cabinet is sufficient room to make a slim tray/drawer for storing odds & sods associated with this project, and keep everything tidy