DMSS setup with NVR; connection failed

H. Swanson

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have an EmpireTech NVR on my main LAN, which is where my iPhone has WiFi as well. I've blocked the NVR's Internet access. I'm trying to add the NVR to the DMSS mobile app. I scan the NVR's QR code, select "wired" initialization, enter the name of the NVR and password, and I get a Connection Failed error. I've tried both Local and Account options in the DMSS app.

Is DMSS P2P only? I thought I could use it when on the LAN or via VPN for remote access.

H. Swanson

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So when I connect via OpenVPN from my iPhone on cellular to DMSS, it comes up but the live camera feed times out right before it loads. Do you know if there’s a way to adjust the timeout in the event I don’t have a 5G ultra wide connection?

H. Swanson

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Piggybacking on this thread. I have my IVR tripwires set up and it's generating alarm logs, but I cannot get those notifications to the DMSS app for some reason. In DMSS, I'm able to see the camera footage just fine, but no notifications. Within DMSS, I've checked the boxes under Device Details and within Multi-channel Alarm Subscription, and I've checked the Notification boxes within each camera.

I do have firewall ACLs in place that block all LAN->WAN traffic for the NVR, but my phone is on the same network as my NVR so that shouldn't matter. I even created a rule to punch a hole from the NVR to just my static phone IP just to be sure nothing network-related is blocking the alarm messages. Besides, my video in DMSS has always worked so I have to think it's not a networking issue.

I know it has to be something stupid that I'm missing or that I've done. Any ideas?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I thought it needed P2P to work?

H. Swanson

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

Notifications? I'm not sure. The video works just fine as long as it's on the network.

Edit: Ok, I'm reading the thread you posted. Very helpful, thank you. Still analyzing options...

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It has been awhile since I have used an NVR for that, but I believe the P2P is needed (or port forwarding) and we get occasional threads here where people complain about the push being delayed and the common response is it is routing through the Dahua servers and could have a lag or one down.

H. Swanson

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It appears you're right. I either go down the P2P route and get the full functionality, or I poke open a few holes to allow the notifications to flow out. As much as I don't like saying this, perhaps P2P is the way to go but ONLY if I segment off my NVR. I'd then need to allow access from my PC on the trusted LAN to the NVR since they're on the same LAN currently.

I'm thinking about risk. Is it worse to go the P2P route or open some ports? Both seem similar but open to debate.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score

Sorry, yes I believe so. I've recently been using it and turn on P2P lately when I'm going to be away from home for a while.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It appears you're right. I either go down the P2P route and get the full functionality, or I poke open a few holes to allow the notifications to flow out. As much as I don't like saying this, perhaps P2P is the way to go but ONLY if I segment off my NVR. I'd then need to allow access from my PC on the trusted LAN to the NVR since they're on the same LAN currently.

I'm thinking about risk. Is it worse to go the P2P route or open some ports? Both seem similar but open to debate.
Here was a healthy debate on it a while back. Seemed to be mixed based on one's tolerance/acceptance to the risk.

You appear to be tech savvy, so would you rather trust the P2P servers or an open port to an insecure IoT?

H. Swanson

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I read the whole thing. That was a very helpful, meaty thread on the topic. Based on the back and forth, I'm thinking the least evil option is P2P on the NVR while on a separate VLAN. I hate opening ports that could be exploited whereas at least P2P has some "layer of defense" being Dahua's cloud (hilarious I know), vs the world against my NVR.

I wish Dahua would fix the notifications issue so that none of this tomfoolery would be necessary.

H. Swanson

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Does anyone know the domains I'd need to whitelist for P2P to work? I'd like to block everything else from the NVR.