Do all new cams go through an Asian server ??

schuh

n3wb
Reaction score
I have several wifi security cams than I access from any browser laptop or smartphone. I need to add another camera but many of them seem to go thru a server that belongs to the manufacturer.

I just want a simple wifi security cam that I can access using my ip address and a port number. I have no trouble setting up port forwarding.

Some of the cheap cameras you find on eBay or Amazon would work if I can can configure them with an ip address & port.

What should I look for in the specs, that will let me know if I can set them up the way I want ??

Does the ONVIF protocol guarantee I won't get what I want ??

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
no such thing as a Wifi Security camera, you got webcams.. once you put it on Wifi all security is gone.

Setup a VPN Server and block your cameras from talking to the internet at all, they are full of backdoors and should not be accessing the internet.

schuh

n3wb
Reaction score
Just for the record, this cam (sricam 0009) can be accessed directly using ONVIF. It only puts out a RTSP stream that cannot be viewed in any browser that I know of.
It can however be viewed in the android app tinycam.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
All new cams do not go through a remote server. Some can, and some work no other way, but none of the good ones force you to do this.

RTSP is the standard protocol for security camera streaming, and it is supported by all serious security camera software. ONVIF is a good thing to look for to guarantee you'll be able to access a camera.

As nayr said, you should view cameras over a VPN and block your cameras from reaching the internet directly. With any luck, your router will have all the necessary features to facilitate this. Once you have prevented the cameras from reaching the internet, you don't have to worry about them connecting to remote servers, or being connected to by anyone unauthorized.