Do I install the Honeywell Ademco Vista 20P or get something newer?

reflection

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I would love your feedback.

Back in 2006 (I had to check my receipt to know it was that long ago), I purchased a Honeywell Ademco Vista 20P kit with the intention of installing it. I bought a bunch of sensors and switches for it as well. Sadly, the kit is still sitting in a box and has never been installed.

Now, after my cameras system is solid, I decided it's time to setup a home alarm (I know my order is backwards). So my question is, is this kit worth installing or should I look for something new and more modern? What are some of the more popular home alarms used by our fellow IPCT'ers? Thanks!

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have a older Honeywell system, it is a wired system. it still works and does the job.
I have multiple sirens , one in the front of the house, one in the back of the house, and one inside. I use 120+ DB sirens, It is next to impossible to stay in the house with the sirens going off. I also have a flashing outside light attached to the alarm system.
Remember to check your local laws on registration of alarm system.
I pay to have it monitored.

I do not use wifi for alarms or cameras, it is to easy to jam/block

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
The 20 series from Honeywell/Ademco is still for sale and a decent panel. I just installed a 21iP here and like it a lot. I also installed many of them when I was doing that for a living, around 30 years ago. I will say the new one has the cheapest cabinet I've ever seen for an alarm panel. The weight of an 8ah backup battery distorts the bottom of it until the door is closed, but the electronics still work extremely well.

reflection

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Is Internet connectivity an important feature to have? Do you have yours connected to the internet? It would be nice to receive some sort of notification in case the alarm goes off. Also, can you turn off the sirens remotely?

I was not planning on having it monitored.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I have internet and GSM monitoring. The internet monitoring is less expensive the way I have it set up and the GSM is a fallback should the internet go down or local fiber, at the house, gets cut. That's the only way I'm aware of to get notifications from a professional level system. The sirens are on time outs from the panel.

Old Timer

Known around here
Reaction score
They make an interface that works with DSC and Honeywell alarms. Does not show the 20, but worth a call to see if it does.

DSC PowerSeries: 1555, 1555 MX, 1575, 5010 (832), 5020 (864), 1616, 1832, 1864 and Honeywell Vista Panels: Vista20P, 21iP, 15P, 10P, 128P, 250P

You wire it into the buss, and it will txt an email you when things happen. It will trigger on almost any change in the DSC, never used it on a Honeywell.
I changed to a magic jack for a phone line at the cabin, then used this to send the alarms through the internet, with a cell as backup.
I used a spare zone for motion detectors outside, then the zone changes, it notifies me without setting off the alarm.
Worked great when out there, a critter comes by, the alarm goes de-do, and I look at the cameras to watch the wildlife go by.:cool:
Lightning lost the alarm, so using simply safe for now. I need to get another DSC in place.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

reflection

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The Eyez-On EnvisaLink EVL4-EZR looks like it might work. I have the Vista 20P. I like the Alexa integration. I'll can put switches on my garage doors and ask, "is garage door 1 closed?".

Time to start watching youtube videos on how to install the Vista 20P (I remember reading over the docs a long time ago but probably easier to watch videos and reference the doc when needed).

Raylo32

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have a Vista20ip and like it a lot. I originally has a Via 30 but went to Internet monitoring. These panels are dead solid reliable. And I just learned something from the above post by Reflection... I had no there was an Alexa skill for this. Cool.