Do I need a NVR or something similar to access imou cameras remotely

akshayt

n3wb
Reaction score
Sorry if I posted this in the wrong category.
Hello, I was looking to buy the imou bullet 2e outdoor security camera. In order to access the camera remotely do I need a NVR or something similar to do that. I would put the NVR or camera or some other device behind tailscale using a raspberry pi acting as a subnet router.

I need to use tailscale since I do not get a public IP due to my ISP needing to use CGNAT due to a shortage of IPV4 addresses and static IP costs double my plan per month and the other ISPs in my area are worse like my previous one or have low data caps. My current ISP does own IPV6 addresses according to the bgp.he.net but the installation guys were clueless and I would need to file a complaint to talk about that. Also they seem to be given mostly to businesses. I thought I could setup the camera based on IP and just create 2 different cameras one when I am at home and one when I am not with the tailscale IP. However the setup video by Imou shows needing to use a qr code.

Since I cannot use IP addresses for setup do I need a NVR or something similar and then access it via tailscale to view the cameras remotely or does the imou app can allow me to view my camera remotely without their subscription. I could use my raspberry pi as a NVR but I could buy a NVR too and some might allow me to install tailscale on them so no need to buy a rapaberry pi.

Also to imou bullet 2e owners does it support Poe since it is not mentioned on the Amazon or product page but some blog says it does