Do I Need POE+ ?

Mike K

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Before I purchase my Switch, do I need it with POE+ if im going to use a VoIP? The explanations I read sound very confusing. Please help.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
not likely, most common devices that require the extra power are: PTZ's and High Powered Access Points.

iirc its like 15.5W for normal PoE, 25W for PoE+.. fixed cameras, even with alot of IR max out ~10W, most run 4W-8W on average.

maybe if you were planing on using a few high powered IR illuminators over 15W and run them off PoE.

most popular cameras here that need PoE+
Huisun Bullet PTZ = 18W
Dahua Black Face PTZ = 24W

Mike K

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
not likely, most common devices that require the extra power are: PTZ's and High Powered Access Points.

iirc its like 15.5W for normal PoE, 25W for PoE+.. fixed cameras, even with alot of IR max out ~10W, most run 4W-8W on average.

maybe if you were planing on using a few high powered IR illuminators over 15W and run them off PoE.

most popular cameras here that need PoE+
Huisun Bullet PTZ = 18W
Dahua Black Face PTZ = 24W
So maybe I should figure out/Spec My cams before I leap on the switch. The switch is sold both ways but of course more expensive with the POE+. I do want a Cpl of my cams to be PTZ.

bob2701

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Look at the total output the switch allows. Even with a POE+ chances are you won't get + on all 8 of an 8 port switch.

Mike K

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Look at the total output the switch allows. Even with a POE+ chances are you won't get + on all 8 of an 8 port switch.
The switch Im Looking at [http://www.tripplite.com/24-port-gigabit-ethernet-switch-12-outlet-pdu-2-sfp-8-poe-ports~NSUG24C2P08/ ] has 8POE+ ports, 2SFP ports, and is combined with a PDU. I don't need all the features but I do need the fiber port and Vlan capabilities. If the POE+ is backwards comparable, I think my switch hunting may be over.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
8 PoE Ports with a Budget of 120W = 15W per port, if loaded up to capacity..

probably wont be a problem tho, my 7 IPCameras draw about ~80W of power and a few are PoE+ PTZ's.. calculate your loads

Mike K

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
8 PoE Ports with a Budget of 120W = 15W per port, if loaded up to capacity..

probably wont be a problem tho, my 7 IPCameras draw about ~80W of power and a few are PoE+ PTZ's.. calculate your loads
I should be good then. Thanks to all