Do I need stronger antennas?

Toaster

n3wb
Reaction score
I just installed 2 cameras pointing to my front yard. The cameras are dropping in and out all the time (losing signal).
My house has metal siding panels and the receiver is just on the other side of the wall.

The cameras came with a standard 3dbi antenna.

Since Im sending the signal through Metal, would stronger antennas fix my problem?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Metal siding certainly doesn't help with wifi. You might be able to do better with directional antennas, but the only way to truly solve this problem is to not use wifi.

Did you use battery-powered cameras? If not, then you already have used a wire and you might as well try a powerline network adapter if a real network cord to the router/switch is out of the question.

area651

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I just installed 2 cameras pointing to my front yard. The cameras are dropping in and out all the time (losing signal).
My house has metal siding panels and the receiver is just on the other side of the wall.

Since Im sending the signal through Metal, would stronger antennas fix my problem?
I had a $400 router inside of a room and two $100 wireless cameras outside of the house, just on the other side of the wall they shared and they couldn't keep connection. These cameras were literally less than 6ft from the router with only sheetrock and brick veneer between them.

You'll want to search the forum for wireless and you'll quickly see the performance of wireless with cameras. Imho, inside is "barely ok" and outside is absurdly bad.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah, I have a wifi camera on top of some cabinets in my kitchen, and the wifi AP on top of some other cabinets on the other side of the kitchen. These are literally in the same room and I still had to reduce the bit rate of the wifi cam to crazy low levels for it to be reasonably stable.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

Study here: Cliff Notes.
IF you still can, return the cams for a refund.
If you expect reliability, only use Ethernet based cams, not wifi.