Do I need to "Optimize" my SSD that contains the New folder.

HouShanPi

n3wb
Reaction score
I've placed the New folder in an SSD. I've made sure that it will not exceed 80% of the capacity. Once filled, it will transfer to a Stored folder inside a Surveillance HDD. I've made sure to not defrag the HDD by unselecting optimize option in windows. Do I need to do the same for the SSD (since optimize option in that case doesn't defrag but TRIM instead)? The reason for this set-up is to avoid the HDD noises since I sit literally

Last edited:
Reaction score
It is not recommended to put the 'New' folder on an SSD. It should go on a surveillance rated HDD. As far as moving items from New to Stored, that is generally considered a waste of time. It takes CPU cycles and IO headroom to do that. Just put the video on a surveillance rated HDD and then let BI delete once the drive is getting full. If you decide to continue your present setup, then using a surveillance rated HDD for stored is a waste. Any decent drive would do. A surveillance rated HDD is optimized for continuous writes. Not needed for spooling to Stored.

Broachoski

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
^^^^ I agree.
I have 32 cameras recording 24/7 on an old HP desktop, recording to WD purple drives and the only time that I can hear the drives is during the 2 AM database compact/repair. The pc is sitting on a metal cabinet and is about 5 ft from my head.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
^^^^ I agree.
I have 32 cameras recording 24/7 on an old HP desktop, recording to WD purple drives and the only time that I can hear the drives is during the 2 AM database compact/repair. The pc is sitting on a metal cabinet and is about 5 ft from my head.
Change the db compact/repair to run during the day when you will most likely be at home and not at night as BI stops recording when it performs this task.

I set mine to run once weekly on Sundays at 11am.

scoob8000

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
As others mentioned, I'd just record directly to the spinning disks. Recording to one, then moving just creates extra work and wear on the SSD.

HouShanPi

n3wb
Reaction score
Thankyou for all your responses. In my original set-up, the video was directly recording to the HDD but I was hearing constant thrashing of my HDD and it was driving me nuts. I'm running 52 cameras @5MP @15fps each on a i5-12400 with 32Gb of ram and RTX3050 for codeprojectai. I've left the compact/repair DB for 2:00AM. I've noticed the thrashing once I selected to record "Continous sub + Alerts" setting whereas before I had "Continous". I was hearing the thrashing but the HDD performance in task manager rarely exceeded 20%. I don't know what other settings I can use to diminish the thrashing.

Last edited:

scoob8000

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Wow that's a lot of cameras. I'm not sure what the use case is, but I think you might actually want only continuous. I believe sub + alerts only records the substream, and records the main stream when the cam is alerted. If you set it to continuous, and check record dual streams if available it'll record the main, and substream full time. You want to record both to make seeking thru the video faster and smoother. (When you seek you are viewing the substream until you let off the mouse button)

Reaction score
I just have mine set to continuous. I have 22 cams writing to three 10TB WD purple HDDs and never hear any 'thrashing'.

Back when I first started with BI, I did hear the thrashing. But it went away when I turned off moving clips to Stored and stopped the automatic defragmenting.