Do IR emitters count as Christmas lights?

marty9876

n3wb
Reaction score
Because that red glow is what I'm counting as Christmas lights this year! :)

Just popped by to leave a thank you note for all those who have contributed to the forums - wiki was a huge help. I started with the idea of a OOTB camera system and went into typical analysis paralysis through all the options until I stood up a BI system with all cameras from EmpireTech. House I bought was wired for 3 cameras (technically 4 per wiring closet but I can't find the 4th drop outside) and I just could not let all that wire go to waste! I now have 5 cameras with a few more to go (these things do multiply like rabbits) and a lot more setup to do but so far happy with the results.

Specs of system so far:
BI on a repurposed Core I5-4460S. CPU sits around 25-30% with all the tweaks so I'm happy about that. SSD for OS/BI/DB, 15 FPS, Hardware acceleration enabled etc.
Storage - JBOD on a QNAP I had - 13 TB RAW. Bonded a pair of NIC's into it but totally not needed for this use case.
Switch- Cisco POE I nabbed from work
Cameras - In EmpireTech I trust was my approach. Got most on the Black Friday sale (wOOt!), still working on getting over the 'more MP must be better' but all in all have a nice variety to learn and experiment from. These camera models are so confusing from the outside.

Models so far:
Loryta IPC-HDW5231R-ZE IP
EmpireTech IP Camera IPC-HDW5831R-ZE 8MP
Loryta IPC-T2231T-ZS 2MP
2x EmpireTech IPC-T5442T-ZE White 4MP

Next steps:

• Need a door bell cam I think
  • Setup alerts in BI, super confused on this but I think I know where to start
  • Setup profiles in BI
  • 2 or 3 (yea right...) more cameras on the exterior and/or reposition one at least
  • Figure out if I'm doing any cameras on the interior
  • VPN setup for remote access
Thanks!
Marty

Old Timer

Known around here
Reaction score
Welcome!!
You are an example to all newbie who come around here.

As you found there is a lot of information on here just for the reading.
Stick around, we need folks like you around.

All of my Xmas lights are IR, along with a couple leds for full color views.:D