DO NOT UPDATE DS-2DE4A425IW-DE

scuzzie2k

n3wb
Reaction score
I have updated the DS-2DEA425IW-DW(6) to the 5.7.3 and they have removed auto tracking!!!!! Not happy at all. Does anyone have links to the old 5.7.1 firmware please?

amdpowered

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The closest version I could find that is related was DS-2DE4A225IW-DE(S6).

In the release notes it does say "Remove auto-tracking functions on DE4A"

scuzzie2k

n3wb
Reaction score
Just curious....for what reason did you "upgrade" the f/w to begin with?
To see if it would improve the autotracking ironically as previous updates had, also good practice due to vunrabilities being patched

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
To see if it would improve the autotracking ironically as previous updates had, also good practice due to vunrabilities being patched
Sorry you didn't get the results you'd hoped for.

Upgrading firmware is certainly your choice but if I didn't have firsthand assurance like from release notes that there were, in fact, improvements / fixes to a specific feature and I was not satisfied or was having issues with that feature I personally would not upgrade firmware in an otherwise functional camera, mainly due to the issue you're having now.

I'd also practice the same consideration regarding firmware updates concerning "vulnerabilities", especially since all my cams do NOT have Internet access.

OlliS

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi scuzzie2k, I did exactly the same as you and was shocked when Smart Tracking was gone, That was the reason I bought the camery and installed it yesterday. But your fix worked. Can anyone help me in setting this bloody camera up so smart tracking works. I am not a pro and I do not know what parameters I need to activate so it works. Which Smart Events do I need to activate along with smart tracking? Happy for any help!!
Cheers

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
This is exactly why you should never update a firmware for kicks and giggles to be on the latest release. Only update it IF it is known to fix a problem you are having. Too many instances of functionality being lost on an update.

If the release notes do not go into enough detail as to the reason for the update and your camera is working and meets your needs, resist the temptation to update. No reason to do so.

OlliS

n3wb
Reaction score
You are absolutely right. i learned my lesson:) But still, if you are not an expert theses cameras are quite difficult to configure especially toi avoid false alarms.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah but updating it isn't going to fix that LOL

allypally

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi scuzzie2k, I did exactly the same as you and was shocked when Smart Tracking was gone, That was the reason I bought the camery and installed it yesterday. But your fix worked. Can anyone help me in setting this bloody camera up so smart tracking works. I am not a pro and I do not know what parameters I need to activate so it works. Which Smart Events do I need to activate along with smart tracking? Happy for any help!!
Cheers

[/QUOTE

I also have a nightmare with this cam. I can get it to act on moving objects, but, after locking onto the object it stays with it for only about 1 second before going off on a tangent trying to hunt for the object. Sometimes it just gets into a spin before giving up.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have a Dahua autotracking PTZ, but I am sure the concepts are the same (terminology may be a little different)

It would help to show some video of what you are experiencing, and if the camera allows you to show the object tracking box on the screen so we can see what it locked onto instead would be very helpful.

As you are seeing, these are not plug and play. You have to dial them in. But once you do, they are incredible. Mine hits the mark over 95% of the time.

Are you running default/auto settings?

It is a matter of getting the brightness/contrast and target ratio settings correct.

I always knew that you shouldn't chase a bright picture - it looks nice and people migrate towards a brighter TV for example, but upon closer examination, most images need to be toned down in order to get all the details. You will be surprised how much changing a parameter like gamma could impact tracking. For example, if you have a pesky tree or something in the middle of the view during an autotrack, just by changing some image parameters you can get autotrack to pass it. Making the image a little darker at night actually helped with tracking someone across the street, which was opposite of what I thought you would think to do. So add some contrast to your image above and see if it improves.

I have a yard lamp post that more times than not autotrack would get stuck on it as someone was walking and the autotrack would only go so far. Because my image has soo much contrast (bright white concrete a third, blacktop road a third, grass a third), knocking down the gamma made the lamp post not be so "trackable" lol, and along with that I turned of PFA and that gave it just enough time to retrack the person walking past the lamp post. The camera may still autotrack the lamp post when a small kid goes by, but an adult it was autotracking past the lamp post.

Ideally for an intrusion box or tripwires, you should have the initial field of view be such that the camera doesn't have to initially pan too much up/down or left/right to get the object in the center of the screen to start tracking. The closer the object is to the center of the image, the better the chance that it will track correctly.

The reason it starts looking upward or left or right is usually because the intrusion box is too big so the camera identifies the object before it is in the center of the field of view and then sometimes something else matches the "algorithm signature" of the initial object and then starts trying to track something that isn't there. Adjusting the field of view and the locations of the IVS rules to be closer to the center can fix that.

Autotracking PTZs are great, but they have limitations like everything else. Installed in a wrong location or with fields of view that do not give it a chance will be problematic.

A camera losing track is usually changing something as simple as adjusting the field of view to get more of the object in the center can make all the difference whether it tracks correctly or not. Or changing brightness/contrast.

KML

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have found a Fix! You can install IPDE_E7_EN_STD_5.7.3_211208 this is a initial release of 5.7.3 and it allows you to install it, this still has the Auto Trackin!!!!!
Hi Scuzzie
I have that same camera and the smart tracking does not work. IF it triggeres it wonders here and there often ending to spinning. No use with it.
I bought it as a budget PTZ for hunting rats (targeting area + detection alarm via BI, then go to shoot from window).
For about 4 years ago I bought DS2DE7530IW AE (smart tracking was what I wanted), it worked better but still lost it`s mind in over 50% of cases.
Hikvision support (after I sent clips) told that you have to buy a DF series (to gain smart tracking..) which has a graphic card inside, not just software, forexample DS-2DF8436IX-AEL.
I did, with about 2000 euros. It works better, but not enough. Zooms in, then losts target (passing vehicle). Also small birds and squirrels are detected as human (powerfull software..).
Now I have 2 PTZ and 2 fixed cameras from Hikvision, and that`s all I am going to have from Hikvision. The only good is the picture quality, everything else sucks.
For smart tracking I am waiting for Blue Iris to publish their own, or buy a radar, but NOT a Hikvision radar. Maybe Axis.
I am convinced that no matter what Hikvision offers in future, it won`t work as should. Their intention is to make profit, not effective surveillance equipments.
Some others try to do both.

Last edited:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Many here have had great success with the 49225 PTZ for $375USD (340 euros) sold by @EMPIRETECANDY a trusted vendor here. A lot cheaper than the 2000 euros you spent LOL. I have two of them they work so good!

But you have to purchase from him as nobody else has this model WITH autotracking. You can purchase the 49225 without autotracking but why LOL.

And I have done a poormans autotracking in BI with clones for my PTZ without autotracking. I have 7 clones and each clone triggers the PTZ to a different preset. Not as good as autotrack, but it works surprisingly well.

KML

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Many here have had great success with the 49225 PTZ for $375USD (340 euros) sold by @EMPIRETECANDY a trusted vendor here. A lot cheaper than the 2000 euros you spent LOL. I have two of them they work so good!

But you have to purchase from him as nobody else has this model WITH autotracking. You can purchase the 49225 without autotracking but why LOL.

And I have done a poormans autotracking in BI with clones for my PTZ without autotracking. I have 7 clones and each clone triggers the PTZ to a different preset. Not as good as autotrack, but it works surprisingly well.
Really ?
Thanks for the tip ! Is it only in 2MP available ? Do you know any more links of this camera autotracking ? I saw one from "iamnothim" when neibourgh picked mail, it was good !!!
In your experience, what is the percentage of autotracking succeeds/fails when there is human or vehicle ? How about when there is rain, birds, wind, shadows ?
I know these are hard to cope for any camera or AI, but Hikvision tends to track when there is " nothing".

Thanks Kenneth