Do you ever find yourself needing to powercycle a camera?

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
Not sure how often or if ever anyone has experienced a camera glitch or it just went on the blink and you needed to power cycle the camera. But, if you did I wanted to find out how YOU would do it and lets assume we are talking about POE IP cameras.

If you were using Blue Iris and the camera was not able to communicate then BI would not be able to help at all. If the camera could still communicate is there a way to reset/reboot (not factory reset) the camera via BI? Or, to reboot the camera would you go directly into it with Dahau or whatever manufacturer's software?

I would assume if you had a managed POE switch that you should be able to shut a port off then turn it back on thus do a "power" reset to the camera. But if you didn't have a managed POE switch this would not be an option.

You could manually unplug the POE camera from an unmanaged switch but obviously this could not be done remotely.

Speaking of remotely doing a powercyle I'm thinking one alternative is to have the unmanaged POE switch plugged into a Z-wave or Zigbee outlet then turning off the outlet then on which would power cycle all the cameras plugged into the POE switch. I already have several Z-wave outlets and a Z-wave controller so I would probably opt for that solution if any of the above mentioned can't do what I want. But then again, I ask the question on if cameras ever do strange things that would warrant doing a power cycle to them.

I'm looking at this from the point of being on the road for weeks at a time therefore thinking about what would be needed to remotely manage a system.

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
Sometimes but not very often and I have 15 cameras. One of them got replaced in a upgrade so I can't remember the last time I had to power cycle a camera in order to bring it back online.