Do you guys hide your cameras? Is it a deterrent or a capture mechanism

keithl

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
My wife asked for a front door camera. 11 cameras later my approach has been to place them to get best view, but my goal was to not make them obnoxious, but they are visible. Between visible cameras and my alarm company signs I hope the deterrent factor prevails over needing the video to hunt down a perp. I really like the Eco-Savy 3.0 turrets as they are compact and between the PFB204W and PFA139 mounts you can get the installs very clean and professional looking. I plan on eventually posting my impressions and some pics eventually.

jeremylatz

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi @jeremylatz

If you don't keep your porch light on all the time or have some other source of external light at night then the camera needs to provide its own light. The camera has Infrared LEDs that come on automatically when it gets dark. The camera is sensitive to IR light and you get a black and white image.

You don't have to do anything special, by default the camera will automatically go into IR mode when it needs to. You can set up different profiles and manage it yourself, but it's *usually* best to just let the camera do its thing automatically.
Thanks, that's really helpful, I'm still learning so much - cheers @TheDank :)

jeremylatz

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
My wife asked for a front door camera. 11 cameras later my approach has been to place them to get best view, but my goal was to not make them obnoxious, but they are visible. Between visible cameras and my alarm company signs I hope the deterrent factor prevails over needing the video to hunt down a perp. I really like the Eco-Savy 3.0 turrets as they are compact and between the PFB204W and PFA139 mounts you can get the installs very clean and professional looking. I plan on eventually posting my impressions and some pics eventually.
Good lesson for me too I guess. I kind of want it all but will remember the best view component. 11 cameras is a lot!

keithl

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Good lesson for me too I guess. I kind of want it all but will remember the best view component. 11 cameras is a lot!
Actually if you are covering 4 sides of a home, that burns 8 right away, then I have one in basement garage, one inside on front door and one outside front door, probably adding 1 more varifocal pointing to street on front of house, so will likely be 12. Longer term wife wants a bird feeder and may put one aimed at it so she can watch the birds.