Do you have VPN server on your router or machine running Bi?

buckfast

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I currently have a VPN running on my router. Thinking of getting a pc for blue iris and wondering how would the VPN be best run. as of now I turn on the vpn app on my android phone to connect from outside my LAN and then open Dahuas DMSS app to view.

Could BI run on its own pc and I leave the vpn server on my router. To vjrew my cams while away is it just a matter of opening amd connecting with the Open VPN app on my cell phone and then opening the Blue iris app?
Thanks

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
I run Open VPN on an Asus router and view my cameras, routinely, from wherever I am. When you use VPN you are, technically, attached to your own LAN and can access everything the same way as if you were physically connected to your LAN.

Last edited:

Mr_D

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
VPN server is on my router. I use ngrok on the BI PC to make it easier/faster to connect via the BI mobile app. The VPN is for general network access and gives me direct access to the cameras via TinyCam should the BI PC ever go down.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Vpn is on my Asus router. Very easy set up. OpenVpn on my laptop and on my Android phone. BI on a standalone pc.