Do you install POE lightning arrestor for outdoor IP camera

drakejest

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Will be placing several outdoor IP camera, just wondering if POE lightning arrestors are a thing. Are you guys placing them ? and have they been a problem?

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
There are a lot of variables to consider. I'm in an area that doesn't have a lot of thunderstorms, and after considering the costs and hassle decided to go without, risking the cameras and POE switch. I have a few thousand feet of UTP buried about 14" deep. So far it has worked out. One thing that could get me is I've moved to higher cost cameras over time, changing the risk/reward ratio. I lost a magnetic driveway sensor to lightning, no cameras (yet). It would be a big hurt to lose the 4k-x.

drakejest

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
There are a lot of variables to consider. I'm in an area that doesn't have a lot of thunderstorms, and after considering the costs and hassle decided to go without, risking the cameras and POE switch. I have a few thousand feet of UTP buried about 14" deep. So far it has worked out. One thing that could get me is I've moved to higher cost cameras over time, changing the risk/reward ratio. I lost a magnetic driveway sensor to lightning, no cameras (yet). It would be a big hurt to lose the 4k-x.
I live in a place tropical area, and yes thunderstorms is not a uncommon occurrence here. And yes indeed what im about to install are 125$ cameras

Can you show me what POE arrestor you are using?

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
Can you show me what POE arrestor you are using?
I guess I didn't write my reply very well. I'm not using any arrestors, having decided to take the risk of not using them. Probably a bad decision for high lightning areas.

drakejest

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Be sure that you use shielded cat 5e or cat6 cable. Ground The cable shield at the Poe switch end only. Ubiquiti makes some POE surge suppressors that are decently priced.
Yes im planning on using shielded cat6.

Can you explain to me why the cable shielding is connected to the switch only? Where do i place the Ubiquiti surge suppressors ? switch end or the camera end?

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
Will be placing several outdoor IP camera, just wondering if POE lightning arrestors are a thing. Are you guys placing them ? and have they been a problem?
Chances are if you take a direct hit, you will be toast no matter what, You can mitigate transient risk with properly installed surge protectors. I have used DITEK equipment with good success. The have Install guides also.

drakejest

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Chances are if you take a direct hit, you will be toast no matter what, You can mitigate transient risk with properly installed surge protectors. I have used DITEK equipment with good success. The have Install guides also.
Its highly unlikely that we will get hit by a direct strike since there are tall buildigs with lightning rods nearby, but yes over the years there have been strike that were less than 10Km away.

I would like to use dtek as they have a 8port version sadly its only for the US