Do you monitor your system in your bedroom?

TheSuperServer

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Do you guys monitor your camera system in your bedroom all night?

If so how are you doing it (TV, Computer, Tablet, Phone)?

DavidDavid

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I definitely do not. No electronics allowed in my bedroom except for a clock. The thought has crossed my mind to get the tripwire alerts thru the night (by leaving my phone next to bed) but we have too many animals around that trip it about once a night on average. If someone is at my door in the middle of the night I'll find out in the morning.... Or the house alarm will sound if they manage to actually break into the house.

Last edited:

yobigd20

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Yes. iPad on all night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

DavidDavid

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Is there a way to have it turn on when an event triggers?

I'm not sure I see the benefit of having basically a TV on all night every night just for the rare occurrence someone is outside in the middle of the night...can you just have push alerts make a loud chime to wake you up, then with one button push you can view the event right away?

Maybe another option would be to keep the tablet off and if something wakes you up... Assuming you share your bedroom you could have the other person fire up the tablet to assess the situation while you grab the gun...

Idk... Just throwing ideas out there.

DavidDavid

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Have you just considered keeping it off? Sounds like that might work pretty well. By the time your eyes adjust to being awake the tablet will be on and updated with fresh video streams it sounds like....

Glad to see Tiny Cam works as intended as well. Tiny Cam has been running on my "nightstand viewer" for about a year now. I have a Nexus 10 tablet that I bought and have yet to understand why (can't say I have any desire to use a tablet, let alone find an actual purpose for), though it's served the job well to just sit propped up on the night stand streaming Tiny Cam. It's nice to tap the power button at night and within a second or two see the streams update with what's going on. Incredibly handy if you're using indoor cameras as child monitors. Our two youngins are upstairs, so it makes me feel more in control/in "the know" as a parent. Tiny Cam has been a fundamental component in tying this together.

Come to think of it, if the tablet ever kicks the bucket, I may be more inclined to wall mount an LCD monitor and Nvidia Shield it up there as my viewing device. Heck yeah. Can't believe I didn't think of that possibility before.
(Quote from a completely unrelated thread I just came across)

smoothie

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
That's what I was trying to do but it's so damn bright even on the lowest setting. I was keeping it on my nightstand.
Why not go get a sheet of tinted film and put it over the whole face of the unit. Something perhaps like this product but I am not sure how much tint it actually has as the darkness might be trying to convey the narrow viewing angle.

TheSuperServer

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I've been thinking about some of that static cling tint. I used to put that on my clock to dim it. Just haven't gotten around to doing it.

smoothie

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
This article might be worth a look as it is just a settings change within the IOS. No idea how well it works or if your device is capable of doing it, but you need only a few clicks to find out

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I used to run a little tablet 24/7 in my bedroom, with the image tinted red to be easier on the eyes at night, but it was still too bright at the other end of the room, even on the lowest brightness setting. To make things worse it was an unreliable tablet.

I'm now running a Raspberry Pi 2 using OmxPlayer to stream a few cameras to this monitor, which I got because it has some of the best available black levels: Amazon.com: BenQ EW2750ZL Revolution Eyes 27" Video Enjoyment Monitor with MHL EW2750ZL 27" Screen LED-Lit Monitor: Computers & Accessories

This alone isn't good if you like to sleep in the dark, though. Even at the lowest brightness level, the backlight is clearly visible and video streams are annoyingly bright. I was able to solve this by taping on about a half dozen layers of red cellophane. Amazon.com: 30 in. x 50 ft Red Cellophane Gift Wrap high quality roll By Crown: Health & Personal Care

The result is that video is clearly visible in a dark room, but does not throw out so much light as to bother me. Those who are especially sensitive to light could add additional layers of red cellophane, or even add a layer or two of gray or black cellophane.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I used to run a little tablet 24/7 in my bedroom, with the image tinted red to be easier on the eyes at night, but it was still too bright at the other end of the room, even on the lowest brightness setting. To make things worse it was an unreliable tablet.

I'm now running a Raspberry Pi 2 using OmxPlayer to stream a few cameras to this monitor, which I got because it has some of the best available black levels: Amazon.com: BenQ EW2750ZL Revolution Eyes 27" Video Enjoyment Monitor with MHL EW2750ZL 27" Screen LED-Lit Monitor: Computers & Accessories

This alone isn't good if you like to sleep in the dark, though. Even at the lowest brightness level, the backlight is clearly visible and video streams are annoyingly bright. I was able to solve this by taping on about a half dozen layers of red cellophane. Amazon.com: 30 in. x 50 ft Red Cellophane Gift Wrap high quality roll By Crown: Health & Personal Care

The result is that video is clearly visible in a dark room, but does not throw out so much light as to bother me. Those who are especially sensitive to light could add additional layers of red cellophane, or even add a layer or two of gray or black cellophane.
As an added bonus the creepy red glow from your bedroom window may scare off a would be intruder.

I have a small display in the bathroom.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
I have 2 Hikvision NVR's and they are in the garage. They are monitored by my computer which is in the bedroom. However at night I shut the computer off so the NVR's are not monitored. If something should happen during the night I can go back for a look see as the NVR's are going 24/7.

essjay

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have a TV in the bedroom and use an Nvidia Shield for media duties. The Shield has HDMI-CEC enabled so I hit the OK button on the Shield remote and it switches on the TV. On the Shield I'm running Tiny Cam Pro.

So I don't have a constant monitor but if I hear a noise I can have the TV booted up in a few seconds. Also have my phone on the floor beside the bed that I can view cameras/alerts with the Blue Iris companion app.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
what is the point? you're asleep you can't watch anything, the best thing for at night would be audio alerts, but they better not false alarm unless you want the wife to beat you silly, I keep my phone next to the bed with the BI app open but backgrounded so if I need to look at it quick it will come up fast when I unlock the screen.