Do you seal the bottom of the mounting box when putting a cam in a tree or leave it open for water to escape?

MrRobinHood

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I recently had a PTZ die because I failed to seal the back of the mounting box properly when mounting to a tree. (Screw holes had small amount of gap to allow critters and gunk in)

I'm about to seal it up and refit the cam after replacing the socket.

When I opened it up to investigate, it's was literally full to the brim with ooze, slugs and bio matter.

I'm wondering if on my new mounting attempt if I should still leave a small gap where the cable run enters the bottom of the mounting box to hypothetically allow water to drain, or just seal absolutely everything as best I can and hope no water pools up inside if there's is somehow a crack in the seal?

ludshed

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
What kind of mount did you use? Usually the mounting screws have a rubber grommet for a seal. I usually try to seal connections inside the weather resistant boxes but if you’re using something else and want to leave a hole for drainage, make it small. Nothing like opening a wasp nest while you’re 30’ in the air!