Do you use anchor on wood wall?

Jedi2020

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am mounting a ptz camera on a wood wall and thinking of using 2” stainless sheet metal screws along with plastic anchors. The camera and mount bracket weighed 7.8lbs. Is plastic anchor a good idea? I think it should ease drilling 2 inch screws. My old camera weighed less than 2lbs so I didn’t bother with anchor and had it mount securely for 10 years. Do you use anchor on wood wall?

Mr_D

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Plastic anchors are for material like stucco or brick. Use wood screws on wood, not sheet metal screws. Pre-drilling the holes will make running the screws in easier.

Jedi2020

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Plastic anchors are for material like stucco or brick. Use wood screws on wood, not sheet metal screws. Pre-drilling the holes will make running the screws in easier.
Actually, it is not quite true. HomeDepot sells plastic anchors and screws pack for use in drywall and plaster. It says so in the package :) I chose the stainless metal sheet screws because they are very strong and durable. At least the one I got. I have used them to mount my old camera and when I removed them they still look like new after 10 years. My understanding is that the metal sheet screw can be used on wood as well as metal.

Mr_D

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Actually, it is not quite true. HomeDepot sells plastic anchors and screws pack for use in drywall and plaster. It says so in the package :) I chose the stainless metal sheet screws because they are very strong and durable. At least the one I got. I have used them to mount my old camera and when I removed them they still look like new after 10 years. My understanding is that the metal sheet screw can be used on wood as well as metal.
Yes, you use them in drywall and plaster too. They have similar properties to other stone/masonry materials. That is, they're brittle, turn to dust and don't give the threads of a typical screw anything to bite into. I have used Tapcons for going directly into mortar but that's a special product made for the task. They have widely spaced threads and are likely very hard to bite into the masonry. Still, none of those are wood where anchors are unnecessary.

Last edited:

Jedi2020

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Yes, you use them in drywall and plaster too. They have similar properties to other stone/masonry materials. That is, they're brittle, turn to dust and don't give the threads of a typical screw anything to bite into. I have used Tapcons for going directly into mortar but that's a special product made for the task. They have widely spaced threads and are likely very hard to bite into the masonry. Still, none of those are wood where anchors are unnecessary.
I agree that it is probably unnecessary. I thought the plastic anchor will help drilling the 2 inch screw with the added bonus of extra support.

Mr_D

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I agree that it is probably unnecessary. I thought the plastic anchor will help drilling the 2 inch screw with the added bonus of extra support.
Pre-drill the proper size hole and the screw will bite and hold way more than you need.