Does a PTZ light exist?

Robert G.

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I would like to buy a light, just a light - no camera.

Here is what I would like:

1) Remote ability to turn on and off
2) PT(z) so I can control the light
3) Powered by POE but not a deal breaker.

I'm sure everyone here knows motion sensor lights do not work. If you have ever watched a thief on camera, when a motion sensor light activates they don't care. They know it is motion activated, it just helps them see what they are doing better.

I would like to have a light, when I see an intruder I can turn the light on and position it - like a PTZ camera. If the light is pointing at them and following them as they move from car to car in a parking lot they might get the idea that they ARE being watched and it is not just a stupid motion activated light.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'd look at marine and automotive, 'roof-mounted remote control spotlight' . They're bright, made for outdoors and are 12VDC. Local utility companies (power, telephone, cable, etc.) use them often to assist when trying to view aerial issues at night.

s-l1600 (1).jpg

But here's a thought: why not mount an automotive 12VDC LED spot light under a PTZ camera? After all, unless you're peeking out the window how are you going to follow anyone in order to keep the light on them? With a PTZ camera-mounted light, you view them using the cam and when you move the cam to follow them, the light follows.

5bcc2760fe569459d52a7f4d-18-large.jpg

Robert G.

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I was thinking about just a light, there are plenty of cameras already. Also was thinking about buying a PTZ camera and just sticking the light on it for the movement part like you mentioned.

Mark_M

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You would probably want a joy stick to control. I’ve tried to follow a slow deer with a ptz camera. Response time and perspective makes it more difficult.
Yeah, my analogue PTZ and joystick is very nice and responsive.
Remote PTZ control (outside of location LAN) it is definitely slow. I don't see any problem with internal LAN control, so long as your network and/or app(s) don't introduce too much lag.

-----------------------------

This might be a case to get a PTZ with the ability to add a light. The auto tracking and light would be great.
I don't see anyway a PT light would accurately track a person without a camera for AI or a multitude of sensors. Sensors seem a little problematic depending on location.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Why not strap a strobe light on your PTZ with a rubber band? Might actually work, but could cause premature wear and tear to the PTZ motor mechanism itself :p

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I would like to buy a light, just a light - no camera.

Here is what I would like:

1) Remote ability to turn on and off
2) PT(z) so I can control the light
3) Powered by POE but not a deal breaker.

I'm sure everyone here knows motion sensor lights do not work. If you have ever watched a thief on camera, when a motion sensor light activates they don't care. They know it is motion activated, it just helps them see what they are doing better.

I would like to have a light, when I see an intruder I can turn the light on and position it - like a PTZ camera. If the light is pointing at them and following them as they move from car to car in a parking lot they might get the idea that they ARE being watched and it is not just a stupid motion activated light.
If all you want is to let them know they are being watched, get a speaker that plays audio that says get the fuck off my property. Much better than a light.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Or a cheap laser pointer, directed onto their chest where they can see it.....
I dunno, may not work so good in Hong Kong where firearms with laser sights are not common. :idk:

Robert G.

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
OMG! I think I am in love! That sublethal remote gun is amazing! Forget lights, or remote speakers everyone needs one of these! Start shooting rubber bullets and people on your property and you will have the vagrants cleared out in no time flat.