Does anyone else hate Hik as much as I do?

CastleSurveillance

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Their App/push notifications are about the most difficult thing in the world to set up. IVMS has to be port forwarded (which is a nightmare) - so you can't use hik connect.

Hik connects app interface sucks, but has P2P. IVMS interface is better, but has to be port forwarded - which, c'mon hik - it's 2019 - who wants to port forward this stuff?

Why do they just not combine these two apps into one useable app?

I called their customer service tonight for help when I could not get a clients phone to get push notifications (after following about 10 different how-to's online and still not having success) - I was on hold for a half hour before speaking to a rep, and then he was about as rude as can be.

I think I made a decision tonight that my company will no longer install hik unless something majorly changes. Dahua is a better all around product in my mind.

beepsilver

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have three Hiks left and they've been demoted to boring locales. The only thing Hiks have over Dahua (in some cases at least) is the ability to get events with pullpointsubscription in Blue Iris so one can use the camera's IVS to detect motion rather than Blue Iris--but nowadays BI's motion detection with zone crossing is reliable enough that it may perform better than IVS anyway.

CastleSurveillance

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have three Hiks left and they've been demoted to boring locales. The only thing Hiks have over Dahua (in some cases at least) is the ability to get events with pullpointsubscription in Blue Iris so one can use the camera's IVS to detect motion rather than Blue Iris--but nowadays BI's motion detection with zone crossing is reliable enough that it may perform better than IVS anyway.
yeah, I'm done with them - I've said it before as I've had numerous cameras come dead in box from Hik and numerous other problems like this. The only reason I did hik on this system was because my vendor has a major sale right now.

Sale or not - I'm not using them anymore. I'm going Dahua.

silencery

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
The only thing Hiks have over Dahua (in some cases at least) is the ability to get events with pullpointsubscription in Blue Iris so one can use the camera's IVS to detect motion rather than Blue Iris--but nowadays BI's motion detection with zone crossing is reliable enough that it may perform better than IVS anyway.
Huh? Dahua sends events to pullpointsubscription too. At least for the ONVIF models

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The only thing Hiks have over Dahua (in some cases at least) is the ability to get events with pullpointsubscription in Blue Iris so one can use the camera's IVS to detect motion rather than Blue Iris--but nowadays BI's motion detection with zone crossing is reliable enough that it may perform better than IVS anyway.
That works in Blue Iris with the caveat that when anything (like BI) subscribes to PullPoint on a Dahua, the camera turns on its internal motion detection which can confuse things.

I’ve got Bl doing PullPoint with two of my Dahua cameras. One for its built-in PIR sensor and the other for its IVS. To get around the motion detection thing, I have my Alerts for these cameras set to also send the camera an API command via curl that disables the camera’s motion detection. They both work great!

beepsilver

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
That works in Blue Iris with the caveat that when anything (like BI) subscribes to PullPoint on a Dahua, the camera turns on its internal motion detection which can confuse things.

My ptz starlight (onvif) didn't send events, but my other Dahua did and like you the camera turned on its internal motion detection. I just left it on and made sure the "area" was empty so I'd know I was getting IVS events in BI.