Does BI use the Windows Quick Sync drivers?

Scott Ritchey

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I doubt anyone knows but ipcamtalk seems the best source for such info.
I am running BI on a HP i-7-3770 PC running Win 10. HP never sold this box with Win 10 so there is no HP-approved Win 10 driver with Quick Sync. Task Manager does not display any GPU columns. But BI Status shows I or I+ (indicating GPU) for all cameras.
Does anyone know if this means BI is actually using the GPU or does the I/I+ just mean BI is configured to use a GPU if it finds one?
Thanks

Scott Ritchey

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I probably answered my own question. There is not a clear change in CPU load when I disable/enable GPU in BI main settings. The 3770 seems to have enough power without GPU (12 cameras) so this isn't critical but I thought it might reduce power consumption if the GPU was helping.
This does make me wonder if there is a safe non-HP source for a graphics driver that would enable the GPU in Win 10?

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
You'd be better served by using sub streams in Blue Iris. That will cut CPU utilization by a factor of five or greater. Hardware acceleration might cut CPU utilization by a few percent.

Scott Ritchey

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks. I appreciate your perspective on the effect of the GPU.
I have also an i7-6700 box with GPU that does work under Win 10. I use it mainly for video where the GPU makes a difference. I was considering moving BI to that box but will hold off, at least until I go to H265.
I'm trying to get deepstack running and a "how-to video" suggested sub-streams. I added sub-streams to my cameras and now they go to hi-res when triggered or when the cam goes full screen. By the way my CPU load looks to bottom out around 20% so CPU-only id fine.
Recently, I made a bunch of other changes, including updating firmware on 8 Dahua cameras and somehow goofed up live sound (replay sound is fine). Ah, the perils of departing from defaults.
I live in a rural area and packs of roving dogs come around in the wee hours, typically around 3-4 a.m. I was hoping to use deepstack to detect/ID these dog packs so I can sleep. They killed two of my cats in the last month.
Thanks again.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Around the time DeepStack was introduced, many here had their system become unstable with hardware acceleration on (even if not using DeepStack). Some have also been fine.

This hits everyone at a different point. Some had their system go wonky immediately, some it was after a specific update, and some still don't have a problem, yet the trend is showing running hardware acceleration will result in a problem at some point.

However, with substreams being introduced, the CPU% needed to offload video to a GPU is more than the CPU% savings seen by offloading to a GPU. Especially after about 12 cameras, the CPU goes up by using hardware acceleration.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
I had a i7-3770 in a Dell optiplex as my " getting started BI machine"
had it up to 14 cameras without a GPU using substreams on 12 of the 14.
I tried a Nvidia GT710 that i had laying around, but it didn't change the CPU %age. But thats a pretty weak graphics card.
I hadn't thought of the compatibility of W-10 on the older hardware.
Maybe that was part of the problem. I eventually gave up on my Franken PC and went with a system that wasn't so Cobbled.
It had a perpensity to freeze up at the worst times. Monday mornings I would come to work and maybe it'd be running or maybe not.
Once i got off the Amcrest version 5 BI, and updated to substream version of BI5 it seemed more stable.
But the optiplex wasnt designed thermally for an I7. it had an i3 heatsink. ( i swapped Processors) It ran hot. I had to cobble an i7 Dell Precision Minitower Heatsink and fan to get it down to 80C. I thought it might have been thermally throttling and then freezing to PC....Not sure.
The 8th gen series seems to run BI smoothly in my latest iteration of BI Pc's.

Scott Ritchey

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
My i7-3770 is a HP small form factor box (about half thickness of a standard PC). The hardware is solid, factory configuration but HP never sold it with Win 10 and Intel was not eager to propose a non-HP driver. I am quite pleased to know that the GPU makes little difference. After enabling sub-streams on almost all of the 12 cameras the CPU runs at 10-15% with brief spikes when deepstack does its thing. And of course I'll be able to store a much longer history.