Does ePOE work on most of the POE+ switches?

Peter.B

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,
I bought a Dahua IP-cam (IPC-HDW4831EMP-ASE - 8MP IR Eyeball Netwerk IP67) a time ago and now I'm about to install it.
I want to buy a Ubiquiti Poe+ switch (model: EdgeSwith ES8-150W).

I have read the specs of my Dahua cam and it seems it has not the standard PoE but it has ePoE. It should make it possible to provide longer transmission distance.
The distance is not a problem for me (less than 30m) but I am wondering if it will work on the switch (mentioned above) that I am about to buy. In other words: will this ePoE on the cam work on a PoE+ switch?

Kind regards, Peter.

Last edited:

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
Hi,
I bought a Dahua IP-cam (IPC-HDW4831EMP-ASE - 8MP IR Eyeball Netwerk IP67) a time ago and now I'm about to install it.
I want to buy a Ubiquiti Poe+ switch (model: EdgeSwith ES8-150W).

I have read the specs of my Dahua cam and it seems it has not the standard PoE but it has ePoE. It should make it possible to provide longer transmission distance.
The distance is not a problem for me (less than 30m) but I am wondering if it will work on the switch (mentioned above) that I am about to buy. In other words: will this ePoE on the cam work on a PoE+ switch?

Kind regards, Peter.
The cam is 802.3af compatible according to its spec sheet which is standard PoE. The spec sheet for that switch also shows it as 802.3af/802.3at compatible.

You are fine with both of those together.

randd0

n3wb
Reaction score
I purchased this same switch (Ubiquiti Poe+ switch (model: EdgeSwith ES8-150W), and the internal power supply died after 1.5 years. No replacement available from Ubiquiti, and although their products are pretty nice and easy to set up, their support sucks. Even finding a third-party replacement for the power supply has proven difficult, so I have a 250 dollar paper weight now.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
I purchased this same switch (Ubiquiti Poe+ switch (model: EdgeSwith ES8-150W), and the internal power supply died after 1.5 years. No replacement available from Ubiquiti, and although their products are pretty nice and easy to set up, their support sucks. Even finding a third-party replacement for the power supply has proven difficult, so I have a 250 dollar paper weight now.
I agree with your assessment on Unifi/Ubiquiti products. Their products looks nice and are priced very well but their support sucks and their controller is as horrible piece of software I've ever used. I've migrated evertying I use to Aruba Instant-On. It costs more but I have a hell of a lot more faith in Aruba then Ubiquiti for long term support.