Does the base on a Lorex E896AB actually swivel?

Jefficus

n3wb
Reaction score
I've got one of those Lorex bundles with the NVR and 3 PoE bullet cams. Everything is installed and working fine, but one of the cameras is not aimed properly. I've tried to adjust it, but it won't move the way I need it to, and I'm not comfortable troubleshooting it at the top of a 20' ladder. So before I go back up there, I want to be sure I understand which parts can be moved and how.

My camera (E896AB) is wall mounted, with the universal joint oriented downward (6 o'clock), so adjusting it there changes the up/down angle of the camera barrel, which works fine. I can also rotate the entire camera around its view axis by rotating the barrel. What I can't seem to do is rotate the base. (I want it at 4 o'clock instead of 6.) That base appears to be a 2-part design with an outer ring gripping the bottom of the pylon, which suggests that the pylon itself can be rotated, but I can't make it turn.

Is there another set screw somewhere that will free that base rotation, or is the apparent two-part design just a cosmetic detail?

Thanks

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Is it like either of these Lorex cams? They both show an "adjustment screw" on the stem; yours may be hiding, top or bottom.

Lorex_LNB8111.jpg Lorex_LNB4173.jpg

Last edited:

Jefficus

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks. There IS a set screw on mine, but it's higher up the pylon, right beside the universal joint. Relaxing it makes the u-joint very loose, but doesn't seem to free up the base at all.

I'm hoping someone here actually has the same model as me sitting on their desk, not yet installed, and can examine the base swivel closely and provide a definitive answer. Otherwise, I'm going to have to increase my health insurance and go back up the ladder to figure it out the awkward way. :)

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks. There IS a set screw on mine, but it's higher up the pylon, right beside the universal joint. Relaxing it makes the u-joint very loose, but doesn't seem to free up the base at all.

I'm hoping someone here actually has the same model as me sitting on their desk, not yet installed, and can examine the base swivel closely and provide a definitive answer. Otherwise, I'm going to have to increase my health insurance and go back up the ladder to figure it out the awkward way. :)
The base may have teeth that engages the stem; after loosening try pulling OUT on the stem (that holds cam) away from the base and rotating at the same time.

Any images available?

Jefficus

n3wb
Reaction score
The base may have teeth that engages the stem; after loosening try pulling OUT on the stem (that holds cam) away from the base and rotating at the same time.

Any images available?
I tried a bunch of different tug and twist variations, but I don't recall if I tried pulling and turning simultaneously. I've added it to the list of things to try if no definitive answer comes in beforehand. Thanks.

And no, I don't have any pictures. (I didn't have enough hands for clutching tools, ladders AND cameras. :) But next trip, I'll strap my GoPro to my head and see if I come back down with anything useful.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I tried a bunch of different tug and twist variations, but I don't recall if I tried pulling and turning simultaneously. I've added it to the list of things to try if no definitive answer comes in beforehand. Thanks.

And no, I don't have any pictures. (I didn't have enough hands for clutching tools, ladders AND cameras. :) But next trip, I'll strap my GoPro to my head and see if I come back down with anything useful.
Hopefully the GoPro won't capture your rapid descent to and sudden stop at terra firma......:headbang::winktongue: