Does the camera auto-delete old files?

Chuck Claunch

Banned
Reaction score
I recently got a DS-2CD2135F-IS and set it up with a Windows share and everything seems to work nicely. I made my drive size less than 200 GB to avoid the issue that crops up with larger volumes. It's been running for a couple of weeks on my desk as a test, and my question is, what happens once that drive fills up? Does the camera start deleting old files? I don't see any settings and don't see any reference to it in the manual.

Tolting Colt Acres

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I recently got a DS-2CD2135F-IS and set it up with a Windows share and everything seems to work nicely. I made my drive size less than 200 GB to avoid the issue that crops up with larger volumes. It's been running for a couple of weeks on my desk as a test, and my question is, what happens once that drive fills up? Does the camera start deleting old files? I don't see any settings and don't see any reference to it in the manual.
I have 2042's and a 2632. I had problems with the 2042's filling quota and not deleting old stuff. The camera, however, *is* supposed to overwrite the oldest files for the new stuff. It just didn't. I recently upgraded my firmware to 5.4 and had to reformat my NetHDDs so it will be a few weeks before I know for sure.

In your firmware, there is a setting for "overwrite". Mine is on "Storage -> Schedule Settings -> Record Schedule -> Advanced". I have a checkbox "Overwrite", which is checked on.

The implementation Hikvision uses for NetHDD, however, sucks (to put it simple). They seem to have a needlessly complex file structure with a series of index files. When it gets FUBAR, it really gets FUBAR.

Things would be so much easier if there were a way to simply cull old data based upon age. Even though I have 1TB allocated per camera, I really only need 2 weeks of data. Sure would be nice to have a way to simply tell the camera to automatically remove anything over a certain # of days old.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chuck Claunch

Banned
Reaction score
Thanks for that, I'm not in front of the camera right now but believe my firmware is whatever the latest is, so hopefully mine will properly delete as needed. I'll find out eventually and post the result. Their implementation does seem very clunky.