Dog bark when camera detects movement

Rebelx

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am curious whether I can setup a trigger device (for example a variable - randomised dog bark) when a specific camera area is triggered for movement.

I have a Dahua 4108 4KS2 NVR and Dahua Star light cameras. 4231 and the dual boobie one.

Thoughts?

Thanks for your help.

CV350

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Interesting question.

I’m guessing if a camera can trigger an alarm out it can also trigger other IOT devices.

Bumping for an answer.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I don't know any easy/elegant solutions for this. I don't think any of the models mentioned above support alarm out or audio out.

IMO what would be easy (but not really elegant) would be to setup Blue Iris on an old PC. Blue Iris can do a bunch of different things when a camera triggers, like play a sound file. As long as you can wire your outdoor speaker back to the PC (which might require an amplifier depending on what kind of speaker you're using), you're pretty much done. Additional danger here is that you'll start playing around with BI more and end up liking it a lot more than your NVR ... that's happened to a bunch of people here, including myself. :)

If you only needed the sound in one area, Dahua has some newer "Active Deterrence" camera models that can play sounds directly from the camera when motion is detected.

I've also seen some threads around here with tools/scripts that people run on Raspberry Pis that connect to the cameras over the network and alert when the camera senses motion. You could probably add a speaker amplifier card to the Raspberry PI, hook up a speaker, then have the Pi play a sound when the tools detection motion on a camera. But that's a solution that will take a good amount of home brewing by you.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
I'd also like a triggerable dog bark, and my NVR does have a relay output available. I've not been able to find a good off-the-shelf device to play the audio, and don't need another huge DIY project.

Rebelx

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Boys, just a quick note that the bark needs to be different each time with 1000s of combinations. I am also thinking some random voice clips would also be kool. Just to give the impression that someone is inside.

I would never route it to a speaker on the outside. Just a moderate bark inside. Don't want to make it obvious.

Bonus points if the bark gets slightly louder if someone is coming closer.... ;)

Just want them to go and try their luck next door. :)

Last edited:

catcamstar

Known around here
Reaction score
Interesting use cases!

Basically, if your NVR has alarm outputs (an NVR5216-16P-4KS2 like mine does have 2 of them), you can go into AI - Parameters - IVS -> alarm out and you configure which pins will be activated at trigger time.

How to connect it to your dog? I googled a bit left and right, and found (as an example!) this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007WAGMIA/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=secretstorages1-20&camp=1789&creative=9325&linkCode=as2&creativeASIN=B007WAGMIA&linkId=3d877eda1b0c677b7f3aa52540c5f33f

Has:
- different barking sounds (yeuy!)
- remote

So my brainfart would be the following: you open up the remote, carefully inspect the push buttons for "Panic", wire those to your NVR, and as long as your NVR sets the alarm (from NO to close), that button should be pressed and your dog is barking.

Disclaimer: do not forget to feed your dog :p

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
That elk board looks pretty nice. My application is to spook feral cats away, but the hard part would be to do it without chasing our own cats away.

Rebelx

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So my brainfart would be the following: you open up the remote, carefully inspect the push buttons for "Panic", wire those to your NVR, and as long as your NVR sets the alarm (from NO to close), that button should be pressed and your dog is barking.
Hey man, love your lateral thinking!! I did a similar hack on my heater controller while renting.....;)

I will continue to investigate.... I really want to be able to upload my own barks....

But then, perhaps I am expecting too much....

Rebelx

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
my actual home alarm has outputs so I may end up getting an outdoor pir (wireless) and setting it up like that with a dog bark.

Rebelx

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
More options.

Do you guys think it's possible to randomise this one.
MP3 Trigger

"mp3 trigger" could be the correct keyword to search with! Dog bark comes up with how to stop em barkin... I feel for real dog owners.