Doing it right!

Hound Dog 911

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Tomorrow I am removing all of my Cat6a cable that's outside of the house and running straight into the house behind each camera. So all connections will be in the attic space. I'm still going to use the waterproof boots just to be on the safe side. No boxes or wires exposed.

1. I have the Dahua wall mount bracket. Is caulking the heck out of the connection and stuffing it in the mount sufficient waterproofing? This particular camera is not close enough to get the connection up in the attic area? I will be using the waterproof boot as well of course. And what about the 12v cable on these Starlights? For now I used some good caulk and plugged the hole to prevent moisture there.

2. No reason to waste the current cable? It's been outside for 2 weeks. I am just planning on snipping the ends and re-use it. Should be fine correct? I have a 1000' roll so I have plenty if you think I should.

3. Camera placement. Not that I want to put even more screw holes in my soffet but what is optimal position? Out towards the gutter or in close to the house?

I have 2 Bullet style Starlights coming next week hopefully. Courtesy of Andy of course. Thanks for your time and suggestions.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
1. dont caulk, use self bonding silicon tape, like Coax-Seal or the Harbor Freight stuff.. mebe caulk your junction box so wasps cant get in.
2. Roll it all up and save it for future use/testing
3. Make a test rig that you can move about and find the best FOV, give it a few days to sink in and ensure your satisfied.. 5g Bucket of Rocks/Sand + 2x4 works well enough, just make sure bad weather wont get to it for those test periods, stake it down and unplug it if it starts raining

Hound Dog 911

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'm pretty set on the locations. Just didn't know if closer or further away from the wall made much difference in field of view. I'll run to Harbor Freight in the morning. Right now I've used caulk but will clean it off and get what you recommended. I'll pull the old and run new. Thanks for the recommendations. I did what I had to do to get operational. The 2 additional cams will give me dedicated parked vehicle cam and another angle to watch the yard and pups.

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
If mounted on the soffit, close to the wall, the IR will light up the wall. The IR reflections degrade the video image, esp if the wall is in the FOV.
So night operation has some placement considerations.
For Day & Night, place the cam for the best coverage of the area.
The test rig nayr described will help you finalize the exact location for the cams. You're "pretty set on the locations", so it sounds like some quick final tweaks and final confirmation is all that's needed....

Fastb

Hound Dog 911

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
3 ran correctly. The Harbor Freight tape worked awesome. 1 more to run. It has to go on a pole I have to put up. I painted it white and it will look nice. It's just to low on the back side of my house and have to to elevate it.

Last edited:

Hound Dog 911

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
20170313_184609.jpg 20170313_184352.jpg All 4 cams in. Some touching up to do but it's secure and dry.

Hound Dog 911

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Need shorter screws. Only thing they had in stock at the time.