Dome and raindrops

Dutchlincoln

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi,
I have a 2142 dome installed 2 days ago, but im somewhat disapointed.
First, i disabled the IR. Reflection inside the dome all over. Totally useless, like you're recording in a fog...
Luckily, there are some light posts where i want to record, but not everywhere...
Si, i need a workaround for this in future cams.

Today, i discovered gigantic objects blurring my vision :Rain
How can i prevent this?

My "old" analog boxed cams in their outer housing didnt have these problems....

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi,
I have a 2142 dome installed 2 days ago, but im somewhat disapointed.
First, i disabled the IR. Reflection inside the dome all over. Totally useless, like you're recording in a fog...
Luckily, there are some light posts where i want to record, but not everywhere...
Si, i need a workaround for this in future cams.

Today, i discovered gigantic objects blurring my vision :Rain
How can i prevent this?

My "old" analog boxed cams in their outer housing didnt have these problems....
First with respect to the fog, it can easily be fixed. See the pdf here https://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php/1177-Hikvision-Foggy-as-***?p=10194&viewfull=1#post10194

Using turrets instead of domes will resolve both problems.

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
@Dutchlincoln best thing you can do is switch to a turret. You will always battle rain drops with a dome - reason domes should never be used in open areas, domes are for inside or under eves or covered areas. You'll have issues with dried water drops as well once the rain drys up it will also cause blured images and IR reflection. Your older boxed cameras in housings are designed to be outside in the elements just like the bullet style analog cameras that were so popular, your issues are not a product/quality issue, they are the result of incorrect hardware used for the application. At the very least you can try using a dome camera mount as my guess is you currently have the dome mounted vertically. Mounting the camera horizontal under a dome mount may help some if you don't want to change the camera to a turret.

Dutchlincoln

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Are the turrets not suceptible for rain?

Big disadvantage of all cams besides domes i find they really pinpoint the area covered, instead of stealthy looks...

Turrets are the most ugly i have ever seen...

Would a raincover fix the issue?

As this one is a 2.8 for overview, i can mount this under the roof cover, and have a 6 or 8mm turret pointed at the location.

What is a good nightvision high megapixel turret?
I want to see detail, faces, licenseplates and so on.

Last edited by a moderator:

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
Are the turrets not suceptible for rain?

Big disadvantage of all cams besides domes i find they really pinpoint the area covered, instead of stealthy looks...

Turrets are the most ugly i have ever seen...

Would a raincover fix the issue?

As this one is a 2.8 for overview, i can mount this under the roof cover, and have a 6 or 8mm turret pointed at the location.

What is a good nightvision high megapixel turret?
I want to see detail, faces, licenseplates and so on.
Your are now trying to do mult things that require different hardware/configurations.

1. Faces and "detail" as you say can be had by using 2.8m, 6mm, or 8mm it all has to do with mounting location. For example a 2.8m mini dome at shoulder level by an entry door will give you the same "detail" as a 6mm mounted above the door to catch someone as they come up a walkway - the difference is the distance at which you want to secure said detail. 2.8 requires perp to be closer to camera - 6mm+ allows detail of perp to be gathered from far away but narrows the FOV.

2. Using a camera to catch license plates at night will require a dedicated camera with different configuration/settings and it will not be good for things other than LPR.

3. If night time coverage and great IR is your main concern consider installing external IR illuminators to add more night time coverage or brighter coverage.

4. HIKVision DS-2cd2332 is a popular HIK Turret

5. A few other Turret cameras have been reviewed on this forum as well. I believe a Longsee was a recent one, then there was the mini PTZ Huisun camera a lot of people bought.

Dutchlincoln

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks!!!
1) i know. Overview for the situation (guarding the area around the house and neigbors, easy re-viewing) other 6-8mm for detail on the parking lot 100+ft away, to see detail on what they're doing. I know, thats why i want 2 cams.
2) thought a regular cam would do. Ill check on that.
3) light is sufficient for now. Will think it over to install ir beams.

Thanks again.

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
I like domes because they're not totally obvious where they're pointing and they're kid resistant (basketballs, etc). I hate internal glare from IR inside the dome and from rain spots. Answer? Good low-light domes with the internal IR turned completely off. If needed, install external IR a short distance from the dome. You'll get a much better picture consistently regardless of weather and bugs plus eliminate false positives from fog, snow, rain, etc. My Axis Lightfinder domes don't have IR at all and my Hik Darkfighter dome is used with the IR turned off.

edit- as far as rainspotting goes, my domes are under eaves and have almost no problems that way.