Dome camera install with speaker

inolen

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all,

I live in New York City and I'm looking to upgrade the cameras in our building to help deal with package theft (along with other measures).

In short we have a vestibule / hallway that gets stuffed full of packages, and there are numerous people who walk around and try and enter/ buzz into any building they can and steal them.

I'm looking for fixed domes or turrets that can do 1080 @ 60 fps and have the ability to play audio through the camera itself / an external speaker. The purpose of the speaker is just to inform intruders (if I spot them on the live stream) that they're being watched as I believe it's enough to cause most of them to walk away.

I've been looking at the Hikvision DS-2CD2125G0-IMS dome:

Has anyone setup an external speaker like that? If so, is anyone familiar with what the protocol is like for sending audio to these devices? Does any of the NVR software support playing sounds / sending mic output to them? I was in particular eyeing Shinobi.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

eggsan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I installed the following mic/speaker with built-in amplifier inside a small enclosure. In my case, was acceptable for an small area (12' x 14'). The ip camera includes in/out RCA connectors, for an easy plug-&-play. It looks like your camera has 3.5mm miniplug (check your instruction manual to confirm). You may need a poe extract/deliver 12Vdc for the mic/speaker amplifier. You may need to add an RCA (Male) to MiniPlug Mono, but check the clearance inside your camera, otherwise cut the mini-plug cables for adding/soldering to the mic/spk enclosure (cables). Search for more powerful mic/spk enclosure if needed, but the connections should be about the same. Good luck and stay safe

inolen

n3wb
Reaction score
Do you know what the software support situation was for actually transmitting the audio to the camera?

eggsan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
my experience is only with Dahua products, but should be the same for other brands as well. There are settings you may need to enable (camera audio section), but since using a private camera (Dahua) within the recommended software/app (dmss). If you choose for a camera with a built-in mic, in the audio settings of the camera, select MIC. If using an external mic, select Line-In. You normally have an icon (microphone and speaker) in your app or pc for accessing the audio to/from the camera

eggsan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
this wiki link will help you better understand the necessary steps for setting the audio. Remember this is for Dahua IP cams, with audio capability