Dome Hikvision Picture looks odd?

noneforit

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hey

So I have the 3MP Dome Hikvision anove my front door and the daytime image looks great.

The nighttime one looks odd however, sort of a flared effect?

I have another of exactly the same above the garage and this looks fine at night.

Front door

Garage which looks fine

Have tried to clean the dome inside and out to no avail and all the seals look fine.

The only thing I can think of is that it's mounted under an awning hangover thing above the door and in front of the lens is a white wooden beam which slopes downwards it's off the right side of the camera, probably 10cm away. You can see it in the right of the image.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Typical Dome problems; this is why nobody here recommends domes outside.. i bet if you take the dome off it'll get much better.

Adjust the FOV so theres no wall on the left in view; tha'll help.. IR is reflecting back into the dome and clouding it up.. very typical when you have curved plastic, ever seen plexiglass litup from the end like on signs and stuff?

noneforit

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Typical Dome problems; this is why nobody here recommends domes outside.. i bet if you take the dome off it'll get much better.

Adjust the FOV so theres no wall on the left in view; tha'll help.. IR is reflecting back into the dome and clouding it up.. very typical when you have curved plastic, ever seen plexiglass litup from the end like on signs and stuff?
Thanks, you mean adjust the FOV so the white beam is not in view or the wall on the left of the image below the window?

The dome above the garage is outside and it works great, it's the same camera so must be something in the image itself.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks, you mean adjust the FOV so the white beam is not in view or the wall on the left of the image below the window?

The dome above the garage is outside and it works great, it's the same camera so must be something in the image itself.
What ever that big white thing thats taking up a 1/4 of your image on the right needs to go..

The dome on the garage is not installed with a bunch of surfaces nearby; its 100% environmental.. swap the cameras out if you dont believe me..

if your garage dome is exposed to sunlight the UV will damage the plastics and it will loose clarity too.. they also dont tolerate any water spots or dirt, attract bugs like a bug zapper that dont kill, and generally suck when compared to Turrets/Bullets outside.

noneforit

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
What ever that big white thing thats taking up a 1/4 of your image on the right needs to go..

The dome on the garage is not installed with a bunch of surfaces nearby; its 100% environmental.. swap the cameras out if you dont believe me..

if your garage dome is exposed to sunlight the UV will damage the plastics and it will loose clarity too.. they also dont tolerate any water spots or dirt, attract bugs like a bug zapper that dont kill, and generally suck when compared to Turrets/Bullets outside.
I will have to move the dome then as the white thing is a beam holding the awning up above the door.

The problem with the bullet is the 4mm lens and I wanted 2.8mm. I wasn't aware of the turrets at the time when I bought it, in hindsight I would have got the turret.

I may just move the dome and see if it improves. Either that or get and outdoor light which is on all the time so the camera doesn't go into night vision .

Thanks

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
you only think you want a 2.8mm, but 4mm is always better outside.. especially in that location where your seeing too much walls and too little face

2.8mm is only good inside in a corner where a 90 degree FOV is good and you dont need ID capabilities.. a 2.8mm has zero chance identify a face further than 10ft away at night..

even better is getting a varifocal lens so you can dial in the FOV to whats best, then you'd not need to move the camera

noneforit

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
you only think you want a 2.8mm, but 4mm is always better outside.. especially in that location where your seeing too much walls and too little face

2.8mm is only good inside in a corner where a 90 degree FOV is good and you dont need ID capabilities.. a 2.8mm has zero chance identify a face further than 10ft away at night..

even better is getting a varifocal lens so you can dial in the FOV to whats best, then you'd not need to move the camera
The reason for the wider lens is I wanted to try and see the car outside the house and also double as a door cam for seeing the front door, I suppose in hindsight I should have tried two Cameras, one for the car and one for the door.

Thanks for your help

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The reason for the wider lens is I wanted to try and see the car outside the house and also double as a door cam for seeing the front door, I suppose in hindsight I should have tried two Cameras, one for the car and one for the door.

Thanks for your help

your car is too far away to ID anyone fucking with it though; or just wait til someone does and u dont get anything..

noneforit

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
your car is too far away to ID anyone fucking with it though; or just wait til someone does and u dont get anything..
I appreciate your help but you need to work on your tone.

Perhaps not everybody is a CCTV genius like you. Luckily I have a cavalier attitude towards most egos but I find that those who get angry sitting behind a keyboard, rarely would in the real world.

Like I said, appreciate the help but everyone has to start somewhere and there is little point to the help sections of the forum if everybody knows everything already.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
chillax; what tone? this is a forum.. im pretty certain you cant hear me unless your blind, then im sorry your text to speech bot gave you some lip.. I'm just being clear and concise.. If you dont like curse words tough, cuz I sure in the fuck do.

Last edited:

CanadianEh

n3wb
Reaction score
As others have said above it looks like you're getting a lot of IR reflection off of the right side of your image.. and possibly some IR bleed from a thin gasket on the dome. Also you may have a porch light on that is reflecting into the lens of the dome beside the front door ?