Dont pay over $100 for a third generation intel system?

davej

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
"...dont pay over 100 for a third generation intel system." says Fenderman

Is this practical? On ebay I think that would limit you to the dregs, unless you got lucky.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
"...dont pay over 100 for a third generation intel system." says Fenderman

Is this practical? On ebay I think that would limit you to the dregs, unless you got lucky.
No it would not... But if you want to be a sucker that's up to you...4th generation systems are often available for about 140 or less... Several months ago I purchased 2 HP Elite desk i-5 6500 6th generation systems with 8 gigabytes of RAM for 185. Why would you pay more than $100 for a system that's at least three to four years older won't have the capability to decode h265 when it gets properly implemented in blueiris.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Those chosen CPUs aren't equivalent to each other, generation to generation. Here's a somewhat fairer comparison: PassMark - CPU Comparison Intel i5-3570 vs Intel i5-4570 vs Intel i5-6500

The raw CPU capabilities have barely changed. Power consumption generally gets lower with each generation, and benchmark results ever so slightly better. There are some poorly-documented differences in Quick Sync Video capabilities, such as 2nd gen not being able to handle higher resolution than 1920x1080. 6th gen and newer is supposed to support H.265 acceleration but as of yet Blue Iris hasn't been able to make that work.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Part of the trouble with older systems on ebay is they often have the HDDs removed, or only 4 GB of RAM. Those which already have everything you might need are sometimes few and not always at the best price. I don't think you would be a fool to pay $130 for a third or fourth gen i5 system, as long as it comes with 8 GB of RAM and properly licensed for Windows. Preferably with a working storage device that already has a fresh install on it, saving you time.

davej

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yes, that is what I see on ebay. Most sub-$100 systems are ancient, untested, sold-for-parts, minimally equipped, or lacking major components, and people like me tend to look at the Passmark score -- not the generation of the cpu.