Door checker

bababouy

Known around here
Reaction score
We caught this guy at one of our dealerships. He took a walk directly to the back of the dealership before he checked anything out. For some reason there was an older dude there on the lot already, who was looking a new trucks. Why at 1:30 in the morning, I don't know. The older guy took off and this guy started to pilfer. We called the local cops who showed up pretty quick. Either the cop knew this guy, he smelled like a thief, or he said the wrong thing to the cop, because he went into cuffs pretty quick. The officer stopped and talked to the chick in the car first before he walked into the lot.

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
Reminds me of the time I and a friend were looking at a Toyota Land Cruiser on a used car dealership around 10 pm. Anyways two plain clothes detectives came up and ask us what we were doing. I explained to the officers that I was thinking of buying it and was looking it over. After some questioning they let us go. By the way I did purchase the vehicle a few days later.

Last edited:

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
Looks like there was plenty of opportunity there - many vehicles not locked up.

bababouy

Known around here
Reaction score
I think it's just me, but I would have a hard time parking at a dealership in the middle of the night and just walking around. We see it at all of our dealerships, and this is an example of both situations.We watched the old guy walk around and could tell he was just poking around. The guy we called the cops on, jumped right out at our team and we knew he was up to something right away. This is also a good example of why we use the human factor in our monitoring service as a primary source of suspicious behavior detection. If we were automated like our competitors, using camera analytics as a primary notifier, we may not have noticed this guy, or he may have been dismissed.

area651

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Looks like there was plenty of opportunity there - many vehicles not locked up.
Dont know if this is the case but I have a friend who owns the neighborhood mechanic shop and he advises anyone leaving their cars overnight to not leave any valuables in the car as they purposely leave them unlocked. His theory is that he'd rather have people rummaging through empty cars than smashing windows only to find there's nothing there. Also if you look at every dealership I know of, signage states they're not responsible for theft (especially overnight). If you're concerned about your $10k stereo system getting stolen, then don't leave it there overnight at all.

Similar story - A couple years back we went to a local fountain attraction here in town and when we were getting out of the minivan, I mentioned to my aunt that she left her purse on the seat. She replied, "oh its ok, there's nothing in it" to which I replied "yeah but the crook wont know that and will smash my window only to find that out. I'm still out a smashed glass. Lets avoid that if possible".

Moral of the story - glass stops NOTHING and locks on car doors only keep the honest people honest.

J Sigmo

Known around here
Reaction score
A friend of mine was going to school in the downtown area of Denver, CO, the "capitol hill" area. Nasty neighborhood! He said you learned to not only leave your car unlocked, with NOTHING of value in it, but you also wanted to leave your windows all rolled all the way down, and the glove compartment already open. If you didn't, the windows would be broken out, and the glove box pried open even though nothing was locked. He said you didn't even want anything shiny to be in the car!

What a crappy way to have to live! He and others bought extreme beater cars to use while they were at school there. Basically disposable vehicles only. And this was 30 years ago or more.

Reaction score
Is it me, or does this guy look like he made a bee line for one specific vehicle before checking out others. At about 53 secs, he has walked by several without even looking inside or trying the doors, then goes to one that is in a line of cars, then works his way right, going down the line.

J Sigmo

Known around here
Reaction score
Maybe he left his personal stash in his car when he brought it in for some work, and he needed to retrieve it. Then, as long as he was there, he decided to do a bit of burglary. :)