Door kicker messes with my car

hamsoplo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So this low life walking by my work and decides to kick my passenger car door in. Don't know if he was drinking alcohol or what.

I'm really disappointed in my night time video, reminds me of my old analog cameras. It's a hikvision 3mp bullet. The building to the wall is 60 feet so I'm not expecting a miracle but I think more/better lighting would help. It is only lit by 2 metal halide 100 or 150watt area lights and one motion sensor led flood which didn't go off for some reason. My dahua bullet didn't even record anything facing the car from another angle, might have to turn up the sensitivity.

[video=youtube_shorthttps;9io9RIlHaOA]https://youtu.be/9io9RIlHaOA[/video]

SyconsciousAu

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
More light would clean up your image, but a longer lens would also help. Looking at the angle of view in your video you appear to have a 2.8mm lens. 60 feet is 18 metres. That's about 67 pixels per metre. Going on the Australian Standard, that is less than half the standard required to recognise a person you already know (176ppm), and less than a fifth of the pixels per metre required to identify an unknown person (352ppm). The Australian and New Zealand Police Association recommends 420ppm for ID, and in the UK they recommend 500ppm.

hamsoplo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You're right, drunks and just regular people walk through from the large neighborhood to the drug store all the time. Not sure if he's just an angry drunk or has a issue with us. It's a asian restaurant fyi, not saying it's racist but a possibility.

The current setup is 3 overview cameras because of the large stepped shaped building with 2 rear entrances. 1 hikvision 4mm bullet that the above video is from, 1 dahua 3.6mm bullet and 1 old analog variable zoom. The sensitivity is set lower with built in ir turned off. I was relying on the white lights and PIR motion activated lights to avoid constant recording from bugs with the built in ir on. This resulted in only one camera capturing the event. We've had a lot of problems back there and it's time to step it up again.

My plans in order of importance off the top of my head:
1. more white lights or better lights
2. IR illuminators for after the timer lights turn off.
3. PIR sensors to activate recording
4. Another camera with a tighter lens. You think 2 would be necessary or just one would do since people travel in both directions?

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm sorry - this is why I don't understand NOT using 24 hour recording... People get upset with to many false alarms so they dial back there settings and thus end up missing needed events. Where if you record 24/7 with motion still on you log where events happened for reference purposes should you need to review. As for the bugs spend the $20 bucks and get one of these guys - includes a 10' extension handle even. I leave mine in the garage and hit the cameras once every month or so. If you need a longer reach, just get a longer extension handle.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0013B1Y2I?keywords=Poly Fiber Dusting Wand&qid=1445871445&ref_=sr_1_fkmr2_1&sr=8-1-fkmr2

Attachments

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

hamsoplo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I didnt know you could do 24/7 and still get motion alerts. Mainly i did it so i didnt have to sift through so much video to find things.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah, you can do 24/7 and still have motion alerts, with most if not all video security software. The problem is 24/7 video takes up a ton more space than motion recordings. I don't know about you but I like being able to keep motion recordings around forever.

Razer

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Sounds like you have a decent plan, I find the motion detection on the Hikvision cameras to be okay outdoors and worlds better than other brands I've tried. Maybe bump it up slightly, and I too prefer to not sift through hours and hours of footage. I try to keep 100 days of footage on hand for all locations and even with motion recording I'm using 300tb or more to accomplish that (with a ton of cameras) so I understand storage issues.

Nothing better than more light, where I live recently switched from standard metal halide lights to some new induction lighting and holy crap is it better. Super bright, the replaced wall pack for wall pack and I swear it is 4 times more light. Made a world of improvement in my camera views that's for sure. As far as bugs I too do not turn on IR, I get spiders in hours if IR is on and I'd have to go out daily to clean them, not once a month. I shut IR off on every single IP camera I have and it has saved us a ton of man hours in cleaning cameras.