Doorbell Camera / Blue Iris / Recording 24/7 Questions

RWDM3

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hopefully once this is answered it helps everybody!

Few things...
So I hate that to get 24-7 recording all of these stupid door bell camera's require subscriptions, i have enough subscriptions in my life i dont need anymore
I was looking at two cameras (unless someone has another recommendation). Between the 2k LOREX doorbell and the Arlo - both wired
I just want the options of a doorbell camera and ability to record 24/7, so i was thinking if i can link the camera to blue iris and have it recording 24/7 on my harddrive on pc, i get my 24/7, and still have the features of the camera
is this possible?

Lorex is on sale right now $129.99

and so is the Arlo $98.99

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hopefully once this is answered it helps everybody!

Few things...
So I hate that to get 24-7 recording all of these stupid door bell camera's require subscriptions, i have enough subscriptions in my life i dont need anymore
I was looking at two cameras (unless someone has another recommendation). Between the 2k LOREX doorbell and the Arlo - both wired
I just want the options of a doorbell camera and ability to record 24/7, so i was thinking if i can link the camera to blue iris and have it recording 24/7 on my harddrive on pc, i get my 24/7, and still have the features of the camera
is this possible?

Lorex is on sale right now $129.99

and so is the Arlo $98.99

cam26

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have an Amcrest AD110 that has no subscription and records 24/7 to BI with normal video doorbell functionality through the Amcrest Smarthome app.

The video quality is lacking as it’s 2MP on whatever crappy sensor, but the AD410 is 4mp and should function the same.

RWDM3

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
any other feedback on this?
currently have the google doorbell cam, not bad...
cons
  • doesnt record 24-7
  • i can only play back the motion, and there is large gaps in playback (can only see the motion alerts + keeps recording for like a minute)

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
any other feedback on this?
currently have the google doorbell cam, not bad...
cons
  • doesnt record 24-7
  • i can only play back the motion, and there is large gaps in playback (can only see the motion alerts + keeps recording for like a minute)
Wait for the reviews on the reolink to come in. Its the only half decent poe doorbell at a reasonable price. The poe version will not ring your wired chime so you will need to use the wireless included chime.

flynreelow

Known around here
Reaction score
Wait for the reviews on the reolink to come in. Its the only half decent poe doorbell at a reasonable price. The poe version will not ring your wired chime so you will need to use the wireless included chime.
i dont get why people are up in arms that it doesnt ring their own chime.

are there drawbacks to the plug in chime.

i

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

i
Since this has its own Chime option makes it nice. Not all have that. I have to say I am partial for my Mechanical Chime, but I am one who also misses the ole Bell in the Bell telephones/Landlines...Guess it is what you are use to...

RWDM3

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
so does anyone have any experience with that lorex or arlo?
just wondering few things - for simplicity sake, lets compare to the google doorbell
1. is video quality good ?
2. is it possible to view VIA blue iris to record on PC 24/7?

I dont mind using app for everything, and then having blue iris just for the 24/7 recording,
i know BI doesnt have many capabilities that the apps with the doorbell are designed for (package detection, etc)

flynreelow

Known around here
Reaction score
just wondering few things - for simplicity sake, lets compare to the google doorbell

I dont mind using app for everything, and then having blue iris just for the 24/7 recording,
i know BI doesnt have many capabilities that the apps with the doorbell are designed for (package detection, etc)
arlo is pretty bad.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

Pretty much most here stay away from those Cloud based products. WiFi CAMs are also not on most members list here either but here is a good video for you to watch...

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score

i
Well for example, my current chime is very loud and rings upstairs and downstairs so we dont miss the bell. With this plug in chime - aside from wireless connection issues, it is unclear to me if I can connect more than one or how loud it is.

flynreelow

Known around here
Reaction score
Well for example, my current chime is very loud and rings upstairs and downstairs so we dont miss the bell. With this plug in chime - aside from wireless connection issues, it is unclear to me if I can connect more than one or how loud it is.
read somewhere is was very loud, but u have the option to turn it down. FWIW

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Pretty much most here stay away from those Cloud based products. WiFi CAMs are also not on most members list here either but here is a good video for you to watch...

After being alerted by pete_c here on this Forum that the Thread we have been very active on has us in it, I finally got around to watching the whole video which included a few second clip of IPCAMTALK Forum, Doorbell Thread I have been part of for the last 3 years. My few seconds of fame :) Pretty kewl...

1669695575090.png

Last edited: