Doorbell like the Nest Hello?

freddyq

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi all,

I've been posting in the IP cam section as I'm about to buy 3 cams to monitor the areas around my house.

My plan so far has been to end up putting a Nest Hello doorbell for my front door but as I've researched and learned about the IP cams I've started to think whether actually there might be IP doorbells out there which have better day and night video performance than the Nest Hello.

So is there a doorbell out there with same or better specs to the Nest Hello from a camera perspective? Other than the camera specs I would like the following:
  • Facial recognition
  • Should be able to display on Nest Hub and on my TV either when doorbell is pressed or on demand
  • Two-way talk
  • Android app which allows:
    • Quick and easy interaction when doorbell is pressed
    • Quick and easy viewing of video recording history
If there isn't anything quite as complete out there, then I'm fine sticking with the Nest Hello but I had to check!

TIA!

freddyq

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Has anyone managed to get a doorbell working with Google Home hub so that if someone rings the bell it displays on the home hub?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
HI @freddyq

I don't think any of the video doorbell products out there - either the IP PoE ones or the cloud dependent ones ( like Nest ) really meet all the desires and requirements that folks want.

See too many issues with lag and service outages with cloud service products to think they make a reliable doorbell.

freddyq

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
That's probably true if you're trying to satisfy everyone but for example I've had a Ring Pro for a couple of years and I can't say I've had any lag or service outage issues with it. I could do with it integrating with my smart display and speakers (Ring doesn't because of the Amazon vs Google malarky), recording constantly and having some of the facial recognition features of the Nest but the first two are really bonus features rather than deal breakers.

The continuous recording definitely is a more critical requirement hence I started looking into a doorbell which could record to a BI PC just like my cams but the space seems surprisingly lacking in quality, reliable products - maybe that's why the consumer centric Ring and Nest products have become so popular.