Drilling through exterior and adding a box, how do you seal?

neuro

n3wb
Reaction score
I need to drill through to the outer exterior of my home, and I will be adding an electrical box, with outgoing conduits:

What does everyone use to seal the hole that I will be feeding the wires through?
I was thinking just using a connector, screwing it into the back, shoving it into the hole I'm making, and using silicone around that:

or

The only reason I haven't thought of using clamps:

... is because I don't know how many cat6 i'm going to want to run through it.. Adding silicone to that would get a bit messy.

Thanks all!

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
I had a project where I actually mounted a camera to this box at home depot and used the same cantex adapters fitted with an O-ring to help keep water from coming in. The camera is actually mounted to the face of the box. I also drilled a weep hole in the bottom of the box. It's been up for a few years with no problems. Coming out of the house I used a standard LB conduit body.

Homedepot link for the box

1589116536390.png

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
If you want to seal the hole behind the box use Duct Seal, available at Lowes or Home Depot in the electrical department. It's very conformable, stays pliable at low temperatures, is fairly adhesive while still being able to be removed easily and is handy for lots of weatherproofing applications.