Drive-by shooting!

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Cold-Lemonade

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thank you @wittaj Do you have a PFA101 mount adapter? Does that have sockets that line up with the PTZ camera's junction box so that I can attach it?

Cold-Lemonade

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
While I wait for the wall mount to be stocked, I've been experimenting with the ability to capture license plates. Here is an example of what I am able to capture using this PTZ camera. Shutter speed at 1/2500; sharpness, sharpness CNT, and gamma at 2; far light illuminator at 100.

Any suggestions on what else to try to improve the video? I think the focus is okay because the outline of the rear lights are sharp.

LPR-6.png

hdjdkkd

n3wb
Reaction score
Typical POE protocol, only requires 2 pairs. If you need to install 2 Poe cameras on one cat5/6 , you can simply supply each camera with 2 pairs. Less hardware = less failure……

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
While I wait for the wall mount to be stocked, I've been experimenting with the ability to capture license plates. Here is an example of what I am able to capture using this PTZ camera. Shutter speed at 1/2500; sharpness, sharpness CNT, and gamma at 2; far light illuminator at 100.

Any suggestions on what else to try to improve the video? I think the focus is okay because the outline of the rear lights are sharp.

View attachment 170488
Not bad for a first go. What is Gain set at?

It took me Lots of experimentation.
Can you provide a short video clip of that? I ask because it would be interesting to see A) is it trying to find focus and B) is the plate consistent across the captured frames…

FWIW I’d leave sharpness CNT at 50 for now. And try 1/1000 to see the difference

Last edited:

Cold-Lemonade

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
@bigredfish -- Thank you. The advice I received from you and others here at ipcamtalk has been very helpful. I think the gain was set at its default, but I don't know the default value.

Here's the video clip showing the car go by. The camera is at 30 fps. Again, the weird angle is the result of mounting the camera improperly. I'll get that fixed in a few weeks.

View attachment LPR.mp4

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Ok so not a lot a frames of the plate to work with. Do experiment with 1/1000 then Sharp CNT back to 50 and might be worth upping gamma a bit, I’ve never run values that low

Cold-Lemonade

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
A big thank you to everyone who's offered advice on getting my Dahua PTZ1A225-HNR-XA camera from Andy to capture license plates. If you've been following this thread, you know that there was drive-by shooting in front of my house and that I installed this camera to capture license plates. The problem is that I had mounted it wrong. When my contractor came to remount it, his guy tore the RJ45 connector off. Long story short, I have fixed everything and it is now mounted properly. See photo below.

ptz.png

But now a new problem has emerged. The image is upside down and I don't see a setting inside the camera's GUI to flip it. There must be a setting inside the camera's firmware to correct this, right? Can you please direct me to it?

JDreaming

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
A big thank you to everyone who's offered advice on getting my Dahua PTZ1A225-HNR-XA camera from Andy to capture license plates. If you've been following this thread, you know that there was drive-by shooting in front of my house and that I installed this camera to capture license plates. The problem is that I had mounted it wrong. When my contractor came to remount it, his guy tore the RJ45 connector off. Long story short, I have fixed everything and it is now mounted properly. See photo below.

View attachment 172422

But now a new problem has emerged. The image is upside down and I don't see a setting inside the camera's GUI to flip it. There must be a setting inside the camera's firmware to correct this, right? Can you please direct me to it?
This camera date sheet say it should have "Auto Flip 180."

Have you look in Image setting area : Flip 180.

Older camera : Conditions-Picture- Flip 90 or 180.

Cold-Lemonade

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
This camera date sheet say it should have "Auto Flip 180."

Have you look in Image setting area : Flip 180.

Older camera : Conditions-Picture- Flip 90 or 180.
There is a "View Angle Mode" in the Conditions -> Picture settings section. But there is only one option "Auto". I don't see anything like "Flip" any where. But I will keep looking.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I know there is as two of my neighbors each have that camera and they have installed it that way and flipped it.

Probably one of those features you need Internet explorer for LOL

Cold-Lemonade

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
@wittaj In the GUI, there is "View Angle Mode" and it is set to "Auto" and there are no other options in the drop down list. I believe I can override this using the Dahua http api to change the "FlipMode" from "Auto" to something else. The problem is I don't know what that should be. I've tried a bunch of different things and they return "error" at the command line.

Can you please ask your neighbors what setting they changed and what value they changed it to?

I've tried running IE, but I get an "overtime" error when I try to login into my camera using it.

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
Mostly a focus issue.

That said, not a great angle. You'll have trouble getting IR right
I agree. I would also look into upping the HLC to at least in the 80's. That will cut down on the light glare. With that angle you might have to look into an auxiliary IR illuminator. However, I would explore the other options mentioned first.