Drive-by shooting!

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah but bigredfish has enough light for it to focus. Maybe this person has enough light or maybe not. In my case and for most, when the shutter is fast enough for plates, the image is too dark for it to focus.

Cold-Lemonade

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
@wittaj and @Parley -- I have a good amount of street light at night, more than what @bigredfish appears to have. So I am hopefully that this would work, particularly, given Parley's tests. I would only have one present position that the camera would return to for LPZ when I am not manually using the PTZ functions.

Reaction score
@wittaj and @Parley -- I have a good amount of street light at night, more than what @bigredfish appears to have. So I am hopefully that this would work, particularly, given Parley's tests. I would only have one present position that the camera would return to for LPZ when I am not manually using the PTZ functions.
Really, the ONLY way to know for sure is to try it. Everything else is just speculation.

Cold-Lemonade

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I can't wait to get the camera on up on the side of my house. These bums who loiter across the street are going to feel very uncomfortable with this camera staring down at them.

Cold-Lemonade

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
A big thank you to everyone who recommended this PTZ camera. It is simply amazing. However, I think I installed it in the wrong orientation. Because the panning and tilting is all messed up.

I mounted the junction box on my wall. The camera is perpendicular to the wall. So it comes out horizontally from the wall. I didn't realize that there are guide pins on the junction box until after I had mounted it. When I went to fit the camera on the junction box, only one position seemed to work. That is with the steel tag on the base of the camera positioned at 9 o'clock. Does the tag need to be at 6 o'clock or 12 o'clock for the panning and tilting to be angled properly? I was too eager to get this working that it never occurred to me to check. If anyone has insight into my problem, I would greatly appreciate it.

Anyway, here is a photo of the view across the street from me. It's only 7:30pm, but the crowd you see below is going to grow larger as we get into the night. And of course, much louder. A couple of nights ago around 12:30am, two little girls, who are no older than 9 or 10, climbed up on the roof a parked car and started dancing to ridiculously loud music like they were strippers at gentleman's club. Just awful.

Everyone on the block is tired of this family and the bums they attract. In fact, when my other neighbors saw me putting this camera up, they were giving me the thumbs up. Everyone knows that this family is going to feel the camera's eye. Now hopefully they start to behave. Please don't get political about this--no woke comments.

Screenshot 2023-08-17.jpg

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I believe the camera is meant to be installed vertically, so it can be like this:

1692320862459.png or like this 1692320961597.png

But not like this:

1692320990585.png

Is that what you mean?

There is the option to flip it in the GUI based on which way it is pointing, but not sure if it "flips" to a horizontal arrangement.

Cold-Lemonade

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
@wittaj Yes. Exactly. I have it mounted horizontally. What a bummer. Amazon does not carry the wall mount PFB730W. Can anyone recommend a vendor for it?

Cold-Lemonade

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
@wittaj @bigredfish @Parley -- Getting back to the issue of the manual focus, I am looking at the Dahua API and I think that a specific value can be set manually. I think I will need to use the curl command from the command line, but this should be fine. It does not look like there is a way to adjust in the camera's web GUI. Plus, there is a lot of light on the street, especially with the camera's IR.

Once I get the proper mount and I get the camera position properly, I will test out whether I can get it to do LPR.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@wittaj @bigredfish @Parley -- Getting back to the issue of the manual focus, I am looking at the Dahua API and I think that a specific value can be set manually. I think I will need to use the curl command from the command line, but this should be fine. It does not look like there is a way to adjust in the camera's web GUI. Plus, there is a lot of light on the street, especially with the camera's IR.

Once I get the proper mount and I get the camera position properly, I will test out whether I can get it to do LPR.

The problem is NOWHERE can you get what that focus number is like you can with a fixed cam. The fixed cam GUI has a focus slider and you hover the mouse over the slider and the focus number comes up and you use that in the API.

It is just an up/down or left/right operation for the PTZ and hovering the mouse over it does not give a focus number, so it doesn't respond to the API.

Cold-Lemonade

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
UPDATE: Regarding the wall mount (Dahua PTZ730W), the only vendor I could find might be scammers. They wanted my passport number to ship it to me. So I told them to refund me. I'm probably out the money.

Does anyone know where I can buy this wall mount?

eggsan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
UPDATE: Regarding the wall mount (Dahua PTZ730W), the only vendor I could find might be scammers. They wanted my passport number to ship it to me. So I told them to refund me. I'm probably out the money.

Does anyone know where I can buy this wall mount?
Not sure where you are located, but you may call any ADI Global and ask for a local dealer. May not be available in the USA

eggsan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
it looks like is not available for distribution through the USA market. Try contacting Andy (Empire Tech, Model DH-PFB730W)