drive question

born2ride

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
i have a 3-3tb drives for blue iris , what are the pro or cons of setting them up as one large drive in window?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
i have a 3-3tb drives for blue iris , what are the pro or cons of setting them up as one large drive in window?
You may benefit from balancing the load on the drives by sending a third of your cameras to each drive. Depends on how many cams and bitrate. It certainly cannot hurt. Also if one fails you have the recordings from the other cameras.

born2ride

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
is there a better way? right now i record on one then transfer to another one, ,i see the pc has higher usage when transferring , which made me think just to combine all drives to one and not transfer, the third drive is not added yet,

dalepa

Reaction score
i've created a 3x4tb drive space (~12tb). no problems for several years. If you loose one of drive drives, you may loose all the data, so backup as needed.

KISS

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
is there a better way? right now i record on one then transfer to another one, ,i see the pc has higher usage when transferring , which made me think just to combine all drives to one and not transfer, the third drive is not added yet,
The best way is as described, simply write 1/3 of your cameras to each drive. No need to waste cpu cycles moving the files around.

born2ride

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
i have backed up all my files , I am in process of adding the 3 drive, If i go with a 1/3 of cameras to a drive for new recordings, what should i do with all the past clips so the database will be rebuilt properly? my other two drives are almost full.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
i have backed up all my files , I am in process of adding the 3 drive, If i go with a 1/3 of cameras to a drive for new recordings, what should i do with all the past clips so the database will be rebuilt properly? my other two drives are almost full.
Its shouldnt matter to the databases. Just let the old file get deleted as new files are stored.

born2ride

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The file that holds the Alert Pics : Local (c) BlueIris- Alerts.

Is there a setting for file size to delete after that size is met or Days old?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
The file that holds the Alert Pics : Local (c) BlueIris- Alerts.

Is there a setting for file size to delete after that size is met or Days old?
1) there is no need to even save high res alerts. You can uncheck that box in the camera record settings.
2) yes, in the clips and archiving tab you can limit the size of any folder.