Drives Overallocated and CP.AI Slow

johannp02180

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi yall,

My blueiris had been running flawlessly for a while now until I moved it to a new computer. I've been getting drive overallocation errors, I even erased all the drives and deleted the DB to rebuild. I am using StableBit DrivePool, but I didn't have any issues on my previous server.

Regarding CP.AI, the detection times that are indicated in the logs used to be a few hundred milliseconds, I'm using a GT1030, but now there are at a few seconds. I switched to the custom model, it got a little better but still taking a long time. I switched to the Coral detection model with a Coral USB, but it was worse.

Any help is appreciated!

johannp02180

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Looking at the CP.AI logs I actually think its working fine...each detection isn't taking too long, but I think I just have to optimize my settings. I didn't realize the logs in blueiris is the sum of the detection times.

About the overallocation tho, I've had to rebuild quite a few times within the last few weeks. Alerts would be sent over notification to my phone and I can see it in the alerts folder, but its not appearing under the alerts list, and I have to rebuild.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Blue Iris determines how much space it is using by looking in its clip database, not by actually querying the filesystem. Sadly the clip database tends to get corrupted very easily which leads to Blue Iris exceeding its allocated space and that eventually leads to problems making recordings because there isn't enough space.

Swampledge

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I can’t help but think that using StableBit DrivePool might be contributing to your overallocation problem. Is BI running on a machine that acts as a server for other systems? I’ve never had any such issues in over 2 years now, but I’m just running a simple PC with a SSD for the database and OS/program files and a separate single HD for clips.

johannp02180

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hmm I’m having the issue again. Maybe it’s affecting it. On my old system I didn’t have any issues. I’m gonna see if there’s some settings on that shouldn’t be. I agree I think there may be a connection there. Cause rebuilding database every 3 days ain’t normal.

johannp02180

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The database is on my C drive which is a SSD. No stablebit there. Thanks for the suggestions so far!

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
i have had 3-4 different hardware setups, and my first one was a big learning curve.
but since then the 2-3 over allocations have turned out be user/settings error on my part. ( like having macrium reflect writing backups on the same physical disk, or saving LPR .mov files/ folders to the same disk.

johannp02180

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thank you for the insight. So I ditched stablebit drivepool for now and I tried to use storage spaces to combine the drives but I got overallocation errors after a little bit. Maybe it’s because one is a WD and another is Seagate? Maybe the seagate is dying (it’s much older). For now I switch new to the WD and just move to the seagate once it’s full. Hopefully that resolves that issue.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
one thing you can do , it to assign the "AUX" folders with the tasks of writing data to other drives.
just make sure that your total allocation size per drive is like 500GB under the actual space. IF you have 7.33TB then try allocating 6.75TB. or something like that.

1690047354606.png
1690047537382.png

Attachments

johannp02180

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Im a little confused about the process, so in your case do I set the camera to record to new, and once new fills up move it to aux1?

thank you!

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Im a little confused about the process, so in your case do I set the camera to record to new, and once new fills up move it to aux1?

thank you!
The best use of two drives, is to split the camera load, send some of your cameras to drive A, then the others to Drive B.
That way if one drive fails, you don't lose all recordings.
See this: SouthernYankee BI Allocation

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Split the write load between the 2 drives ( for example E:\ Blue Iris\NEW and F:\Blue Iris\ Aux1)
then you dont need to play with other software implemented drive space mgmnt

johannp02180

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thank you all for the suggestions. It seems along with this and my other issue I posted about auto changing schedules have been resolved by reconfiguring BI from the ground up. I'm guessing these was some corruption in my config that was causing a lot of issues. I'm going to give stablebit a try again, cause I did buy it so I want to put it to good use so i'll see how that goes.