Dropping a 90 ft. Pin Oak Tree

Tinman

Known around here
Reaction score
Yesterday they cut down a huge 90 foot Pin Oak tree at my neighbors. It was a 3 day job and took many many truck loads. It shook the ground so hard you can see my cam shake. Neighbors 4 blocks away could feel it !! Glad that thing is gone, it loved to take out my power during storms.

Last edited:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Very old tree. Too bad they just didn't keep it properly trimmed to keep it around. I always hate to see a tree cut down, unless it's dead.
I am certainly no arborist, but this tree was very, VERY dead and imposed a great risk. From the image below you can see the large dark circles in probably all of the major limbs, indicating severe rot and loss of strength.

Ironically, this type of rot can be introduced by improper pruning in which a fungus is introduced that spreads throughout the tree over time. Rare, but it happens.

Yes, it's sad to see the old boy go...he was likely nearing the century mark and had seen better days.

limb_rot.jpg

Al*_*

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Yes. nonetheless good footage. what cam did you shoot it with?

On another note, you should have asked if they could cut down 'the other tree', as well. If they asked you why you could always say
'to test my new lpr-cam', hehe.

Tinman

Known around here
Reaction score
Yes. nonetheless good footage. what cam did you shoot it with?

On another note, you should have asked if they could cut down 'the other tree', as well. If they asked you why you could always say
'to test my new lpr-cam', hehe.
It is a Dahua SD-49225T-HN. Another neighbor cut down a large tree up the street a few days later. I did not have my PTZ cam on them and it was even dark when they dropped it ?? My porch cam did pick up the crash when it dropped at 6:42:35.
This was a block (300 ft.) away....it never shook the ground like the other though.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It is a Dahua SD-49225T-HN. Another neighbor cut down a large tree up the street a few days later. I did not have my PTZ cam on them and it was even dark when they dropped it ?? My porch cam did pick up the crash when it dropped at 6:42:35.
This was a block (300 ft.) away....it never shook the ground like the other though.
Wow! Have you looked to see if a metal shed out or carport somewhere isn't flat as a pancake? It didn't 'thud' like you'd expect, more like a 'crunch'. :facepalm:

Tinman

Known around here
Reaction score
Wow! Have you looked to see if a metal shed out or carport somewhere isn't flat as a pancake? It didn't 'thud' like you'd expect, more like a 'crunch'. :facepalm:
That is what i thought, but nope, never saw any damage anywhere.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That is what i thought, but nope, never saw any damage anywhere.
Personally, I would not be operating a chain saw and felling a tree in the dark unless absolutely, positively mandatory...a recipe for disaster, IMO.
But here's 2 facts:
1) I find that people do things all the time that I would not do.
2) Sometimes you do what you feel you have to do.

Guess we'll never know his circumstances (not that it matters anyway).

Last edited:

Tinman

Known around here
Reaction score
That camera does not have a built-in mic, just an audio jack, correct? How did you get the audio to record?
In BlueIris you can share another camera's mic. So I share a Dahua IPC-HDW4231EM-AS which has a built in mic. BUT you can hook up a external mic to the PTZ cam. There have been several topics covering this that you can search for if you want to pursue that option.

Adamsdaddy

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Great video! When I searched for that camera the only hit that came back was one seller on Aliexpress (not Empire) ? Where did you buy it and $325...is that right?

Tinman

Known around here
Reaction score
Great video! When I searched for that camera the only hit that came back was one seller on Aliexpress (not Empire) ? Where did you buy it and $325...is that right?
Yes, I bought it from Andy directly through PayPal. This is much easier for me to process payment and I am sure Andy prefers it as well since no seller's fees are involved. I did buy my first cam from Andy (Empire) via Aliexpress but it was a pain in the ass to get my CC card to approve purchase. BTW I have had mine now for over a year and have ZERO issues with it. Still running stock firmware as well. It's been through -22F to 103F and didn't miss a beat.

Reaction score
This is the link to Andy's Empiretec listing on AliExpress

New Arrival 2MP 25x Starlight IR PTZ Network Camera SD49225T HN ,free DHL shipping-in Surveillance Cameras from Security & Protection on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

But @Tinman is right. The best way is to email Andy and request a quote from him. Then he will send you an invoice via PayPal, and you just pay it. Safest and easiest way to do it.

Killer Kool

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Anyone hear of PPE like chaps,Hardhat-any safety item at all?!?!

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Anyone hear of PPE like chaps,Hardhat-any safety item at all?!?!
Tell me about it!

CAL-OSHA and the local municipal gov't. I worked for was hot on PPE and I'm glad. I'm 69 now (retired at 55) and after 31 years of doing what I did I still have all my fingers, both eyes, VERY minimal hearing loss and no more issues in hands and arms as the next guy my age. I still wear my hearing protection when I mow grass, use string trimmer, operate tractor and especially at shooting range/plinking. My wife think I have hearing loss, accuses me all the time of not hearing her. I tell her "...hey, just because I don't listen to you doesn't mean I can't hear you!" :rolleyes:

I see young men all the time, especially in summer, mowing grass and using string-trimmers all day, 5-6 days a week with ZERO hearing and/or sight protection and I think to myself...yeah, may not look cool or 'macho' now but one day you'll wish you had!

Killer Kool

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I hear ya!!? The string trimmer also really gets me- I have noticed that the first thing the "professional" landscaper /mowing services do is to remove the safety guard!?!! So you see the bare trimmer head!! 10 years ago I purchase a blower kit from Sears-craftsmen (back when they were good) It had a pair of ear muff, cheap ass gloves, oil etc. I then thought to myself-"dam how loud it this piece of junk!!" I didn't use them at the time-I was like "this is dumb ,it not that loud"-I toss them on top of my workbox un opened. 2/3 uses latter it made sense-I am burning thru a full tank of gas almost everytime i use this blower-blower running wide open-same sound for long periods....= possible hearing loss!?!!

I started to use them- also started to think about safety more!??! The product manufacturers follow laws have to provide reasonable safe guards- why are you removing them?!?