DS-2CD2020F-I and zoneminded

belmont

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi,

i have installed Zoneminder on a Ubuntu14.04 and added the camera in the way that I searched the ONVIF devices and added the cam.
The cam has been added perfectly BUT there is no picture at all if I want to view it.

rtsp works perfectly from a VLC viewer but not working from ZoneMinder.

Please help and let me know why it doest work from zoneminder, please tell me the correct settings.

belmont

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
update: it works, just somehow need more CPU than my VLC. Looks like you need good spec server to run it even for 2 cams.

Reaction score
Out of curiosity, what kind of server specs did you end up using and for how many cameras, etc? I'm curious as to what's required for a ZoneMinder system.

belmont

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
quad core, 8GB RAM, SSD 64GB only enough for 2-3 days, but thats fine for me.

Last edited by a moderator:

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
Just for 2-3 3mp cameras the resource usage is insane, it's not worth running anything on unless they are crappy cameras or you only have like one or two. If you shelled out for 3mp cameras, shell out the $60 for blue iris, hell when I bought it I got it for like $25 on ebay from someone.

belmont

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
well said mate. I also have NVR, top spec 4K ones, these can cope with the FullHD cams, but with zoneminden linux way, you must have a pretty good metal under the hood, supermicro motherboard with 16GB RAM, etc