DS-2CD2032-I Motion Detection Question

Reaction score
Hey All,

I am new to the forums and kinda new to the Blue Iris software. I am running version 3 and willing to update to version 4 if it helps my issue. I am currently running 3 DS-2CD2032-I IP cameras and only recording video when motion is detected. I am trying to reduce the CPU utilization on the server I have running the Blue Iris software. I want to be able to use the Motion Detection built into my cameras instead of BI having to analyse the video for motion. I used to use a Synology box with its built in Camera software to manage my cameras but I was unhappy with how it worked and when I added a 3rd camera the license packs was morn then I wanted to spend on that software, but that software did use my cameras built in motion detection and generated very little CPU usage on the Synology box. I like they way BI works so it seems like a better fit for me, but currently my 3 cameras generate about 30% CPU usage or higher at all times. It seems each camera I add increased the CPU about 10% each. I have plans to add more cameras but that will really start to impact the current system available CPU. This box also hosts some other services that tend to be CPU intensive at times. Is there any way to setup BI to use my cameras built in Motion detection? If not can anyone recommend an alternative software?

Thanks
Wayne B.

digger11

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Using the in camera motion detection instead of Blue Iris' detection isn't going to be an option, but there are some things that could lower your CPU requirements if you haven't already done them.

Camera Properties>Record>File format and compression...>Direct-to-disc
Camera Properties>Video>Frame rate: Set this to match the camera's frame rate. Reducing your frame rate to the lowest setting that is acceptable to you will make a difference. I usually set mine to 15 or 20, but if CPU resources are an issue, try going down to 10, or even less.
Camera Properties>Video>Adjust automatically. After you've matched up the BI frame rate and camera frame rate, clear this check box.