DS-2CD2087G2-L(U) Again or back to Dahua

Night-Owl

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hello All, last year I heavily invested in a few of the above, months after a revised version came out apparently because hardware inside was not available and now the original version gets no further firmware versions. That makes me angry as I expect at least a few years firmware updates from IP Cameras. I also have some optical Dahua Cameras from Andy and a DHI-NVR5216-16P-4KS2E from Andy, I have 2 properties and do some camera installs for those who want me to do such. As such I am able to try out some cameras and swap older cameras to my other property (one I rent out). My neighbour is wanted a setup like mine and my only issue with recommending above is I was left high and dry because lack of firmware updates. My questions therefore are, are the Hikvision Cameras with the NVR mentioned still the best value for performance or are their better cameras available in last year of an upgrade to the NVR, I know it's a Dahua NVR but I have had no issues with it working with, Dahua, Hikvision and Lorex Cameras. If the thoughts are I am still on the best value for money cameras and NVR, I will simply purchase another NVR and about 12 of the Hik Cameras again. 1 NVR and 8 Cameras for the neighbour and replace my 4 Hik cameras, using existing 4 in rental property, purely as I won't want the neighbour having newer version than me that can be updated and mine not :) and the rental property has a Lorex set so that should handle the Hik's ok, I will test first of course.

Thoughts please.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Most of us here do not update our cameras because bad things happen LOL.

A common theme around here is don't fix what ain't broke. If the unit is working and meets your needs, in many instances an update breaks what you had working and provides you with something you didn't need or bricks the camera. In most instances, updates are simply security vulnerability patches (usually years after the breach was found), but since we do not give our cameras internet access, the update is useless to us.

Here are issues I have seen people report here where they were upgrading just for the sake of upgrading:
  • A Dahua Z12E that someone updated and then constantly reboots comes to mind.
  • The Dahua 49225 and 49425 PTZ that loses autotracking with an update come to mind,
  • The Hikvision DS-2DEA425IW-DW PTZ that loses autotracking with an update comes to mind.
  • A Hikvision ANPR camera losing half the FPS and loses the ability to read US plates - those are big deals to have happen.
  • A Hikvision camera that the user lost ability to control the LED light function at night.
  • A Hikvision wifi camera that loses the ability to use wifi after a firmware update.
  • Countless other instances where the camera or NVR simply bricked and became useless.
  • Countless examples where the camera or NVR went into Chinese.
Don't do it unless it is fixing a problem you are experiencing or adds a feature you really need.

If you otherwise like the cameras, then stay with them.

Last edited:

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
I have a maladjusted attitude toward Hik because of my Costco Nightowl DVR newb experience. Very limited settings in the DVR, A horrifyingly useless App.
Then I found this forum, and begain learning. " oh just port that DVR into BI they said", no Bueno, for about a year. when i finally did get the stream hacker code to stream it, I already had a BI friendly DVR in an AMcrest ( Dahua OEM) that was easier to use.

So now I'm gunshy on Hik stuff, and lean more toward Dahua stuff.

Night-Owl

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I do like the cameras but as I am now putting my name to it with the cameras and the NVR, I thought a check was in order that newer versions of either are not out now, expecially the NVR as I love it but I would expect it's been replaced by now perhaps ?. Point taken Wittaj :)

Night-Owl

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I have a maladjusted attitude toward Hik because of my Costco Nightowl DVR newb experience. Very limited settings in the DVR, A horrifyingly useless App.
Then I found this forum, and begain learning. " oh just port that DVR into BI they said", no Bueno, for about a year. when i finally did get the stream hacker code to stream it, I already had a BI friendly DVR in an AMcrest ( Dahua OEM) that was easier to use.

So now I'm gunshy on Hik stuff, and lean more toward Dahua stuff.
I have both Hik's and Dahua, plus have had several Lorex sets and still have a few Lorex Cameras indoors. Lorex I went off as they never seemed to provide firmware updates and things were missing, so coming to this forum I went to Dahua, still have a couple of 5442's. I like them for the purpose I am using them for i.e long range night vision. The Hik's gave me puppy eyes over the colour night vision and still do. I think Dahua will be soon giving the Hik's a run for their money soon though, I await the nod that something beating the 5442's Optical Varifocal are out and can do their stuff in colour the same as the Hik's.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Wait until you see the 4K/X.

Unfortunately it is not in varifocal or turret yet, but it blows my Hik full color camera out of the water.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Night-Owl

Pulling my weight
Reaction score

Unfortunately it is not in varifocal or turret yet, but it blows my Hik full color camera out of the water.
I will contact Andy to see how much one of these delivered to me in UK is, then I will have to decide 2.8 Vs 3.6, thinking 3.6 would be best at moment as I mainly use the 4mm Hik's.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
The 4K-X 3.6mm is relatively wide for a cam with that focal length. It seems wider than some other 4mm cams that I have. I've not really looked into it but my impression is that the larger sensor cams maybe are kind of like larger full-frame DSLR sensors - you get a somewhat wider view for the same focal length with the larger sensor. The 2.8mm would be very wide. I think I'd rather have the 6mm if I could have it. Which Andy says is coming. That would be a close to what I'd consider a true-eye view, i.e, what you see through the cam, the same as you see from the same perspective by eye.

Nunofya

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

What do you recommend between this 4k/X and the ones you're always recommending, 5442's. They're both $250. Wanting to eventually change out my lorex 4k's. I saved the thread you did about not chasing megapixels. During the day my setup is very good, rarely over 200ms on DS. Night time misses a lot, 1000's to 10,000ms on custom dark

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
My suggestions for cameras are more based on distances, so the cameras below are all on the desired MP/sensor ratios.

Here are my general distance recommendations, but switch out the Dahua 5442 series camera to the equivalent 2MP on the 1/2.8" sensor or equivalent Hikvision works as well.
  • 5442 fixed lens 2.8mm or the 4K/X - anything within 10 feet of camera OR as an overview camera
  • T5449H-ASE-D2 2.8mm fixed lens - anything within 10 feet of camera where the object would be in a backlit condition at night
  • 5441F-AS-E2 (AKA Boobie cam) or E3241F-AS-M- great choice for a front door camera. The boobie cam can have one lens pointed down for packages
  • T5241H-AS-PV - Great little active deterrence camera with two way talk. Good for anything within 10 feet of camera or as an overview camera
  • 5442 ZE or 5831R-ZE- varifocal - distances up to 40-50 feet (personally I wouldn't go past the 30 foot range but I like things closer)
  • 5442 Z4E - anything up to 80-100 feet (personally I wouldn't go past 60 feet but I like things closer)
  • 5241-Z12E - anything from 80 feet to almost 200 feet (personally I wouldn't go past 150 feet because I like things closer)
  • 5241-Z12E - for a license plate cam that you would angle up the street to get plates up to about 175 feet away, or up to 220 with additional IR.
  • 49225 PTZ - great auto-track PTZ and in conjunction with an NVR or Blue Iris and the cameras above that you can use as spotter cams to point the PTZ to the correct location to compliment the fixed cams.

Nunofya

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
My suggestions for cameras are more based on distances, so the cameras below are all on the desired MP/sensor ratios.

Here are my general distance recommendations, but switch out the Dahua 5442 series camera to the equivalent 2MP on the 1/2.8" sensor or equivalent Hikvision works as well.
  • 5442 fixed lens 2.8mm or the 4K/X - anything within 10 feet of camera OR as an overview camera
  • T5449H-ASE-D2 2.8mm fixed lens - anything within 10 feet of camera where the object would be in a backlit condition at night
  • 5441F-AS-E2 (AKA Boobie cam) or E3241F-AS-M- great choice for a front door camera. The boobie cam can have one lens pointed down for packages
  • T5241H-AS-PV - Great little active deterrence camera with two way talk. Good for anything within 10 feet of camera or as an overview camera
  • 5442 ZE or 5831R-ZE- varifocal - distances up to 40-50 feet (personally I wouldn't go past the 30 foot range but I like things closer)
  • 5442 Z4E - anything up to 80-100 feet (personally I wouldn't go past 60 feet but I like things closer)
  • 5241-Z12E - anything from 80 feet to almost 200 feet (personally I wouldn't go past 150 feet because I like things closer)
  • 5241-Z12E - for a license plate cam that you would angle up the street to get plates up to about 175 feet away, or up to 220 with additional IR.
  • 49225 PTZ - great auto-track PTZ and in conjunction with an NVR or Blue Iris and the cameras above that you can use as spotter cams to point the PTZ to the correct location to compliment the fixed cams.
So, am I looking at double cams at all my corners? Need to be able to identify people and cars out to the roads. Have two ptz (SD5A425XA-HNR & LNZ44P12B) that reach out to the road for the last two pics. You can see the lower one in the last two pics.

Cam3.20220313_130005921.129.jpgCam4.20220313_130004572.130.jpgCam5.20220313_130008069.131.jpgCam6.20220313_130003268.132.jpgCam7.20220313_130004794.133.jpgCam8.20220313_130005726.134.jpg

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So you have some good overviews there.

To get out to the street, what is that about 60 feet or so? If so I would go with the 5442-Z4E and possibly the 5442-Z12E. Just recognize that when you optically zoom in to those areas, the field of view gets smaller.

Nunofya

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
So you have some good overviews there.

To get out to the street, what is that about 60 feet or so? If so I would go with the 5442-Z4E and possibly the 5442-Z12E. Just recognize that when you optically zoom in to those areas, the field of view gets smaller.
Kind of figured I'd have to add cams and keep these as overviews. Now convincing the wife is a whole other forum, lol.