DS-2CD2112 Domecam: Network Disconnected errors

kyphos

n3wb
Reaction score
I have a new DS-2CD2112F-I (with NA firmware V5.3.0). It took me a few days to figure out how to configure it, get NAS/SMB formatted and working, etc. It’s been in service since the weekend.

Today, I happened to look at the Log, and noticed some Network Disconnected error messages. There are 5 or 6 per day, with no obvious pattern. Unfortunately, the log only captures the time of the exception. There’s no indication of how long the network ‘outage’ lasted.

The camera is connected with CAT-5 to a POE injector, and thence to a Netgear switch port.

Functionally, the camera seems to be working normally. Live video and playback from the internal SD card all look solid. Extended ping tests to the camera’s IP shows no dropped packets.

Possible causes are:
- a glitch in the Hikvision firmware (i.e it’s falsely reporting loss of connection)
- an intermittent defect in the camera’s NIC
- bad CAT-5 cable, RJ-45 plug, or other wiring fault. The cable, connectors, etc are all top-quality kit.
- defect in the POE injector (unlikely, as the ethernet xmit/rcv pairs are simply passthrough connections)
- intermittent defect in the Netgear NIC.

Has anyone else noticed Network Disconnected messages in their Hikvision log? Perhaps the occasional error message is just par for the course.

Thanks for any insights the community here can offer.

kyphos

n3wb
Reaction score
Update from OP:
After several days observing occasional Network Disconnected messages logged by a 2112 camera, I swapped it with a new 2032 bullet camera (same CAT5 cable, same POE injector, same switch port). Both cameras have the same 5.3.0 firmware.

Three days later, and the 2032 has not reported any Network Disconnected errors.

I conclude that the problem is not a network issue, but a defect in the 2112. Now to see if Hikvision USA will promptly process an exchange on faulty cameras.

badmannen

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
you never tried with another version of the firmware for your camera or is it the latest you can have for your model ?

kyphos

n3wb
Reaction score
you never tried with another version of the firmware for your camera or is it the latest you can have for your model ?
The camera (received two weeks ago) came from the factory with v5.3.0 . Perhaps I'll download a fresh copy from the website and re-install.

Thanks.

Enabler

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Some cameras (not sure this model applies) if they don't see packets on the network for a while decide to reset their network interface and put an error in the log.

When you do your extended ping test - does the logged error ever occur? If it does during the ping test then my possible explanation doesn't apply.

Bink

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Some cameras (not sure this model applies) if they don't see packets on the network for a while decide to reset their network interface and put an error in the log.
Pretty stupid. Do you know how to fix this?
When you do your extended ping test - does the logged error ever occur? If it does during the ping test then my possible explanation doesn't apply.
An extended ping to the camera prevents this from occurring, so your explanation has merit.