DS-2CD2142FWD-IWS - 1st thoughts

mwatz

n3wb
Reaction score
Thought i would share on 1st experiences on th DS-2CD2142FWD-IWS 4MP 4mm camera.

I know everyone here, says avoid WiFi, but my WiFi signal was pretty good, except when I shut the garage door it block all the signal.

So I went on Amazon and got a power-line Ethernet kit, and both my cameras (indoor and outdoor) skip less with a higher bit rate setting.

So yeah, avoid WiFi it sucks.

Here is a day shot (pretty much default settings, except for having highest resolution) [attached thumbnails show full image...I don't know how to get this to auto-scale]

Here is a night shot. The IR i left on, but i really don't need it as there is enough lights in the area.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing! I was hoping quality would be better, is it set to best quality by default? Also, with WiFi it's YMMV, depends on many factors, but I found Hikvision to have the best wifi in my experience, I have 6 cams in my home (all 3MP Hikvision) and they are all running on wireless. Full resolution at 10-15 fps and 4k Kbps bitrate.

Last edited by a moderator:

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing! I was hoping quality would be better, is it set to best quality by default? Also, with WiFi it's YMMV, depends on many factors, but I found Hikvision to have the best wifi in my experience, I have 6 cams in my home (all 3MP Hikvision) and they are all running on wireless. Full resolution at 10-15 fps and 4k Mbps bitrate.
I was wondering this too. There seems to be some noticable compression, and while night seems like it is better than my Dahua 4MP cam, day seems like it might be worse. Hard to say because my cam is in a metal building so it is a completely different subject matter.

Also I don't mean to sound preachy but "4k Mbps" translates to 4000 Mbps. :rolleyes:

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
I meant 4k Kbps :)

I guess it's as good as it gets for 4MP. btw, what are your setting in Video/Audio tab?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Hmm. Those encoding options look different than I am used to seeing. "GOV length" looks like the new i-frame interval. I can only guess what "Encoding interval" is. Maybe something to do with jpeg snapshot captures?

Given that it has a Quality slider and "Bitrate limit" I am guessing it is using VBR (Variable Bit Rate) encoding. So the actual bit rate of the encode could be far lower than 8192 Kbps.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Ah, that is more like it. That resolution / FPS / bit rate is fairly good for Constant bitrate encoding. I don't know what Smoothing does. Have you played with it?

mwatz

n3wb
Reaction score
For the smoothing, I played with it to 0 (all clear). But I really couldn't notice anything significant.

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
Dahua 4MP cam, day seems like it might be worse.
Which Dahual 4MP do you have? I am contemplating to either get this one or Dahua, but if you are saying night is worse then I'll go for Hik

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
FYI, I have two of the 4MP Dahua turrets coming in later this week, both 6mm lens and both going outdoors. I should have night pics and video from those online in the Dahua subforum soon after I get the cameras.

badmop

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
FYI, I have two of the 4MP Dahua turrets coming in later this week, both 6mm lens and both going outdoors. I should have night pics and video from those online in the Dahua subforum soon after I get the cameras.
I have 3 Dahua 4MP 2.8mm turrets coming, and an NVR :)
I'm guessing yours has already been shipped?