DS-2CD2142FWD-IWS losing wifi connection

monaro

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I know some of you do not recommend wifi camera's, but I'll ask.
Have 8 POE camera's into an NVR, and 3 wifi camera's monitored by iVMS-4200. The 3 are DS-2CD2142FWD-IWS (wifi camera's) with firmware V5.4.5 170124. Two of the camera's work with no problem, but the third which is in a all metal garage loses connection and sometimes requires a reboot to come back on line. It can lose connection after a couple of hours or couple of days. No set time. It is the closest to the wireless modem than the other 2, which would be 8 to 10 metres away, separated by the light metal garage wall and glass door towards the modem. Even with the garage roller door open, it can lose signal. I haven't played with channels on the router. Out of the 3 camera's, I have found one has DHCP enabled, and 2 haven't. The one with it enabled, and one without, present no problem. They all have static IP addresses.
I think I've given enough information. Thought's anyone.
Thanks in advance.

monaro

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi
Thanks for your reply and apologies if I confused. The DHCP being enabled on one camera is something I just found. I believe DHCP should be disabled when using a static IP so will disable it. Please correct me if I'm wrong. The router modem I am using is a Netgear Nighthawk D7800 (which I bought and is not provided) and when on some occasions when the camera loses connection, I bring up the router settings, look at attached devices and the camera isn't listed, so I believe it is the camera.
I will try the channel change as you have suggested. I thank you for your reply.

monaro

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Good idea 4th mouse. It's easy to swap them over. When you say sticky ip's, can you elaborate. I have assigned static ip's through the router so is that what you mean? Thanks for your help.

monaro

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thought I would update incase others have the same types of issue.Thanks to 4thmouse for his replies also. Caused me to investigate further and I used an iphone app called Netgear Genie to look at the network map of my devices. Found the offending camera, when linked directly to my modem router, only had 30% signal strength and 1mbps link rate. I transferred it over to my Netgear EX7000 extender, which is further away than the modem router, and now have 62% signal strength and 363mbps link rate. Haven't had a drop out since doing it.