DS-2CD2232-I5 - IR light is visible

cagnaluia

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello,

I've bought a DS-2CD2232-I5.
It's a good ip camera with two IR led.
I didn't know anything about the IR light, but I was looking for a invisible camera with day/night capabilities.
Such as this Hikvision model.
There is only a problem: the IR light is visibile, two red led switched on when the camera switch to night mode.

Well... is There in Hikvsion similar IP cameras with INVISIBLE IR lights?

I understand the key word is "light wave length" and that must be over 940nm, is it right?
How can understand this value reading the tech specs?

Hikvision doesn't write this information anywhere...

thanks

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Deal with it, your not getting good nighttime IR out of "invisible" wavelengths.. there a shitty gimmic and thats why none of the good cameras use em.

If you dont want the red glow then forgo IR all together.

cagnaluia

n3wb
Reaction score
and then.. what I have to do? What have I have looking for?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
http://www.camsecure.co.uk/InfraRedCameraResponse.html

850nm is what all the good cameras use because any higher than that and the camera becomes blind to them too.. The common HD sensors used in affordable Multi-MP IPCameras are not the least bit sensitive to 940nm

If you look at the available 940nm cameras there all no-name, off brand, crappy cameras.. and you find reviews all over of people buying the 940nm illuminators only to find they hardly did anything. Hikvision has no such cameras.. Its a marketing Gimmick primarily and thats why nobody in the industry really accepts them.

By far the best alternative if you do not want a red glow is to get a camera with EXCELLENT night time with NO INFRARED, and supplement it with traditional security lighting if needed.. probably in the 1.3-2MP range.

cagnaluia

n3wb
Reaction score
thanks I understand!

I don't want the best or an excellent camera, but I need, very need a good one with Invisible) IR built-in, whole supported by PoE. I can't use in this particular case a separate lighting system.

icerabbit

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Not an expert, but I think you will find the "invisible" cams to either be (very) short on quality / gimmicky toy quality or (completely) out of budget, in the category of products not sold in retail.

And I don't know nor think one can put some 940nm ir lights nearby and turn on board ir off. Or I think I 'd heard about that option already for concealment.

[Edit, I see Nayr said pretty much the same thing, there was only one response before <=> open in tabs slowness]

Last edited by a moderator:

Jim W

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
How about using a separate IR floodlight and then turn off the cameras IR ( if that possible with a hikvision) I have a small IR emitter that certainly works with my Tenvis and it turns itself off during the day

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
you can shut off the cam's local IR entirely and use an external spotlight, milage will depend on the quality of your spotlight..

Jim W

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I think a few IR spotlights would act as a deterrent to potential villains if they can be seen glowing slightly, they would probably think they were cameras

icerabbit

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I also thought that could be a favorable side effect. Looks like more cameras at night. One has to weigh though whether it is worth cluttering up the soffits / install area and then still have a faint red glow, ifbthat is whatbthe op desperstely does not want.

I've got a couple things in mind for winter projects that will involve experimenting with additional ir. Though hopefully not at $60/unit.

Jim W

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have one of these

Under $10 and it makes a big difference