DS-2CD2342WD-I Image quality issues? Geovision/Firmware questions.

richtj99

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi,

I bought a Hikvision DS-2CD2342WD-I with a 2.8mm lens. The quality seems decent & at the price point I guess I am happy. I was curious what people think of the camera (during daytime hours)? I like the turret in that the mounting options are wonderful. I am using it with Geovision / Onvif & it works well.

The firmware is V5.3.8 build 151224 & I cannot seem to find any firmware info on the hikvision website to tell if its new or old.

I noticed a bit of skipping when exporting a video though that may be a geovision issue.

Any tips or feedback for best image settings?

Thanks,
Rich

richtj99

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thank you for sharing your settings. I am curious in terms of the main stream running at 8fps & 8000kps - is that better than the stock 20fps? Just curious why you picked that - it is what I am using now myself. I cant get over how wide this camera is - i just got it mounted outside today - am looking forward to seeing it tonight.

Schmark

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I chose 8fps simply to limit the data volume going to the hard disks. Plus, I do not need the smooth motion that is provided by 20fps; 8fps is a bit jumpy, but is sufficient for my needs.

I have since reduced my max bit rate to 4096 Kbps and have not seen any changes at all.

Finally, I agree with you about the wide FOV. I have a 2.8mm lens and the FOV is substantially wider than the 2.8mm on the 3 MP cams.

-S

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
It's really hard to help unless you post your settings or a screenshot of them.

4MP 2.8mm is wider than 3MP 2.8mm, won't stop people buying 4MP 2.8mm sticking them in corners and ending up with IR reflection.

pedrokv

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I prefer runing in full fps, as when something happened, you could realize that you miss a frame with a good face view, so you have only a jumping jeans and t-shirt, but no face. ;-)

Also regarding hdd space-I have 2TB disk for now 4pcs 3mpix cams, recording motion triggered and I have archive of records about a month back. I am running in 3mpix mode (4:3), variable bitrate, 4096kbps and 20 or 25fps (not sure now, but maximum available).