DS-2CD2342WD motion detection

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I have just had the above cameras installed and they are feeding to my Synology NAS, I don't need constant recording so I turned that off and tried the motion detection, the motion was going off every minute so I reduced the motion detection area to well within my property and added a break line at the end of the driveway but it still hasn't really helped.

I have 2 cameras at the front of my house and only want it to record when anything enters or exits my property, its picking up cars driving past which is way out of the detection area, any guides or advice on the best way to set this up would be great.

I have attached the current views from the cameras.

Attachments

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
Hi guys,
I have just had the above cameras installed and they are feeding to my Synology NAS, I don't need constant recording so I turned that off and tried the motion detection, the motion was going off every minute so I reduced the motion detection area to well within my property and added a break line at the end of the driveway but it still hasn't really helped.

I have 2 cameras at the front of my house and only want it to record when anything enters or exits my property, its picking up cars driving past which is way out of the detection area, any guides or advice on the best way to set this up would be great.

I have attached the current views from the cameras.
That driveway opening is a perfect place for a laser that someone would trip.

kadkam

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
You can try "intrusion area" or tripwire/break line.
(With intrusion area you can draw a quadrangle on screen)

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'm still very new at this, but to me, the shadows from your neighbors trees are going to be a pain to work with. I'm not sure if you can get the sensitivity set to where their movement won't trigger.

Regarding cars triggering motion after you redrew the box to exclude the street, ... there is a feature you can enable on the camera that will allow you watch the live feed and have it draw green boxes around the areas where it actually sensed the movement. It may be that the shadows triggered the motion detection, and the cars driving by was a coincidence?

I've seen a lot of posts on here (from people with all different sorts of camera makes/models) having problems getting motion detection to work how they'd like it. From the cameras point of a view, when pixels change, "that's motion". So shadows, light changes, things flying around, etc. can all trigger motion when you don't want them to. The best thing for detecting motion are physical sensors (separate from the camera), like the laser light thing hmjgriffon was mentioning, or an outdoor motion detector (like the Bosch OD850). Some cameras/NVR have inputs you can hook those types of sensors into, and you can set them to record only when the physical sensor detects motion.

Personally, I have my Hikvision setup to to record anytime there's motion anywhere in the frame. It ends up recording a lot because of that, but not as much as if it recorded 24/7. In addition, I also have Tripwire and Intrusion setup, but I have those setup to just email me pictures when they trigger. I don't have anything that casts shadows on a regular basis on the last two, so they only false alarm when there are rapid changes in lighting. Not perfect, but for what I"m looking for, definitely manageable.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm still very new at this, but to me, the shadows from your neighbors trees are going to be a pain to work with. I'm not sure if you can get the sensitivity set to where their movement won't trigger.

Regarding cars triggering motion after you redrew the box to exclude the street, ... there is a feature you can enable on the camera that will allow you watch the live feed and have it draw green boxes around the areas where it actually sensed the movement. It may be that the shadows triggered the motion detection, and the cars driving by was a coincidence?

I've seen a lot of posts on here (from people with all different sorts of camera makes/models) having problems getting motion detection to work how they'd like it. From the cameras point of a view, when pixels change, "that's motion". So shadows, light changes, things flying around, etc. can all trigger motion when you don't want them to. The best thing for detecting motion are physical sensors (separate from the camera), like the laser light thing hmjgriffon was mentioning, or an outdoor motion detector (like the Bosch OD850). Some cameras/NVR have inputs you can hook those types of sensors into, and you can set them to record only when the physical sensor detects motion.

Personally, I have my Hikvision setup to to record anytime there's motion anywhere in the frame. It ends up recording a lot because of that, but not as much as if it recorded 24/7. In addition, I also have Tripwire and Intrusion setup, but I have those setup to just email me pictures when they trigger. I don't have anything that casts shadows on a regular basis on the last two, so they only false alarm when there are rapid changes in lighting. Not perfect, but for what I"m looking for, definitely manageable.
Once you go PIR, you'll never go back...

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
My PIR definitely gets significantly fewer alerts! It's definitely not rocket science to hook up external sensors, but I think it requires enough extra research that it's probably a no-go for most folks. :(

Reaction score
I was playing around with it again last night and downloaded ivms which follows motion, it was following motion way out of the area, I went from 20% sensitivity to 0% overnight, ivms you can set minus but it didn't record anything, I'm not sure why because I had the break line set and that didn't trigger the recording?

When drawing the motion area that is the area you want it to pick up isn't it? I saw a YouTube video that implied it would pick up anything out of that area you draw up not inside.

Reaction score
From what I can gather intrusion detection and line cross only send images or emails, they don't instruct the cameras to record, I set up the email yesterday and I got over 100 emails overnight from both, line cross was set to 100% so I dropped them both to 50% but I haven't got any emails during the day, it seems to work at night but not during the day for some reason, the schedule set is 24/7.

How do you go if you just want to see people coming and going, ATM you have to comb through heaps of clips to find.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
From what I can gather intrusion detection and line cross only send images or emails, they don't instruct the cameras to record
They do instruct the NVR to record. Otherwise there is no point in having those analytics.

I have just had the above cameras installed and they are feeding to my Synology NAS,
That's where the limitation is - SS only responds to motion events.

triumph202

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Jason, I've got the same cameras but have so far only installed one looking onto my driveway. I get all sorts of "alarms" using motion detection eg. birds flying past, the sun suddenly appearing/ disappearing, a neighbour's PIR sensor light randomly coming on at night, shadows and tree branches in the wind (even at night from a street light shining through a tree and the camera picking up the reflection off my car's roof), the neighbour's cat hunting in our yard, moths flying around at night.... I tried turning down the sensitivity but then a test "walk by" at night down the street in front of my house wouldn't trigger it. The Hikvision NVR I'm using has a "Smart" playback feature that does cut out some of the false alarms and extraneous before/ after footage of the target subject, so I can use that. My best solution at the moment is 2 - 8x playback speed.

I've also installed two 10 Watt LED flood lights that turn on at night, this lets me leave the camera in day/ colour mode 24/7 with the IR LED off. So the camera doesn't stand out at night from the red glow of the IR LED and moths bombard the lights instead of the camera.

I'm interested in hearing how you go using some of the other alarm options. This is my first system so it's a steep learning curve ATM.

Reaction score
Jason, I've got the same cameras but have so far only installed one looking onto my driveway. I get all sorts of "alarms" using motion detection eg. birds flying past, the sun suddenly appearing/ disappearing, a neighbour's PIR sensor light randomly coming on at night, shadows and tree branches in the wind (even at night from a street light shining through a tree and the camera picking up the reflection off my car's roof), the neighbour's cat hunting in our yard, moths flying around at night.... I tried turning down the sensitivity but then a test "walk by" at night down the street in front of my house wouldn't trigger it. The Hikvision NVR I'm using has a "Smart" playback feature that does cut out some of the false alarms and extraneous before/ after footage of the target subject, so I can use that. My best solution at the moment is 2 - 8x playback speed.

I've also installed two 10 Watt LED flood lights that turn on at night, this lets me leave the camera in day/ colour mode 24/7 with the IR LED off. So the camera doesn't stand out at night from the red glow of the IR LED and moths bombard the lights instead of the camera.

I'm interested in hearing how you go using some of the other alarm options. This is my first system so it's a steep learning curve ATM.
Hey David,

I have partly given up on trying to get it right, I have the motion detection grid very small and have the sensitivity set to 40%, this picks up what I want but also with many false recordings, I can't for the life of me figure out the break line, the first night I had it set on 100% going both directions but I received about 100 emails, I lowered it down to 50% and it didn't work at all, the last adjustment was at 90 or 95% still not working, I have also since found out break line detection only triggers photos attached to a email not a recording with the Synology. This also goes for intrusion detection but they don't seem to work at all, I have never had the break line or intrusion detection work during the day, only at night.